New MBP Takes 7+ Minutes to Boot??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by groove-agent, Dec 24, 2009.

1. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

I'm just not having luck with my last 3 macbook pros. My new 2.8ghz 15" now takes over 7 minutes to boot to the login screen. Before this happened, I recently copied 139 GB in sound libraries to my system drive. Before I went to work, I quickly closed the laptop and put in my bag. When I took it out of my bag several hours later, the unit was off and battery practically at full charge. When I started it shortly afterwards, it took forever to boot. It would sit there at the grey screen with the spinning circle, then get to the blue background (just before you get to the login screen) and wait there for a while. Most of the time I think you can hear the hard drive churning. Once you log on, everything seems to be normal.

I'm curious if perhaps that 139GB copy did something to the OS to slow it down. FYI it has 274/ 500 GB of free space left. Perhaps the hard drive didn't have a chance to park when I quickly put the laptop in my bag and I damaged it? To complicate matters, I have the MCE optibay installed with a 320 GB hard drive loaded in it.

The only thing I can think of is to back up, and reload the OS. This should tell me if it's software or hardware related.

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Maybe try without the optibay drive installed?

As well, I have a feeling this is an issue with a slow hdd or drive bus.

3. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i am assuming it was booting properly before the songs were loaded. before you go through the trouble of reloading the operating system open the computer up take the HDD out and put it back in. you could also run a HW check using the computer discs.

4. foddr macrumors newbie

Suggest you look at system log messages with the Console utility

Before you do anything drastic or time consuming, have a look at system messages logged during bootup with the Console utility. You may see error messages, or timeouts, or a long gap waiting for something.

5. Mumford macrumors regular

Or turn on verbose booting so you can see what's going on as it's going on. Bring up a terminal and type this command
    Code:
    sudo nvram boot-args="-v"
    then reboot.

Use this to go back to the Apple logo with the spinning wheel:
    Code:
    sudo nvram -d boot-args

6. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

I noticed back on '08 when I got my UMBP that using Migration Assistant and importing my previous White MacBook's profile, seemed to be a root cause of long boots and long shutdown times.

Reinstalling OSX and manually reconfiguring and reloading media onto my UMBP seemed to do the trick and keep startup to around 40 seconds and shutdown to about 3-4 seconds.

I just posted this for reference.

7. puppyflightclub macrumors 6502