New MBP: Text turns purple when scrolling

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by guru_ck, Jun 10, 2009.

1. guru_ck macrumors 6502

Has anyone noticed on their new MBP that blue links change to purple when scrolling down a webpage with links? I'm able to reproduce this every time with the Google Search Results pages.

My screen is model 9C9E from manufactur 610.

2. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

Is it just the viewing angle on the screen?, move your head up and down and see if the color changes.

3. guru_ck thread starter macrumors 6502

It happens as I scroll down the page so the viewing angle is not changed at all.

4. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

I realize that but the viewing angle is changing, very slightly, it really depends on how close you are sitting. Really wouldn't expect that to be a problem though.
    Otherwise open up a solid blue picture and view it full screen, see if there is amy color uniformity problems or viewing angle problems.

Heck it could be software if it is just in your web browser, links do change to purple once you have clicked them.

5. crzdmniac macrumors regular

I had a similar thing happen to my on my SR MBP. In Safari when I would scroll the pictures and text would turn black and fuzzy. When I closed out of Safari it went away and I've yet to see it again. I don't know if this is the same issue, but if it was only seen in Safari it's a good possibility that it's a rendering bug.

6. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

OP, is this on Safari 4? Regardless, try a different browser.

7. guru_ck thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah it's in Safari 4. I'll install Firefox and give it a try.

8. guru_ck thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm noticing it in Firefox as well when scrolling down/up the page very quickly. I guess the refresh rate sucks on my LCD or something! Anyone else notice this issue?

9. fpnc macrumors 68000

Submarining?

I suspect that what you are seeing is a form of "submarining" which is commonly seen in LCD displays that have relatively slow pixel response rates. Personally, I wouldn't be concerned about that unless it affects video playback (smearing or color shifts in moving objects). How does it look when you watch fast-action videos? How about in a video game?

Does your display have the "wave" effect when scrolling that you could see on the first generation unibody MacBook? A good test for this is the Apple Home page which has a solid block of graphics at the bottom ("iTunes this week"). To test, scroll rapidly up and down through this graphic using the scrollbar thumb control (not with the trackpad two-finger scroll).

10. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

11. guru_ck thread starter macrumors 6502

Have any demo videos I can try? Maybe I should try a movie trailer form Apple's website?

I wasn't able to find "iTunes this week" on apple.com. What do you mean by the scrollbar thumb control? Are you saying just click the up or down directional arrow on the scrollbar?

12. fpnc macrumors 68000

Sorry, it's on the Apple startpage:

http://www.apple.com/startpage/

The scrollbar thumb control is that blue/gray-shaded area in the scrollbar that you can use to scroll up and down in a page (click and hold, then move up or down). It's not the up/down arrows.

13. guru_ck thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok.

You're talking about the aqua scroll bar within the scroll bar right? Anyway I dragged that bar up and down very quickly and didn't notice a "wave" affect. I searched on YouTube so that I would have a better understanding of what to look for but couldn't find anything that was relevant.

14. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Nope, nothing just tried on both 15" and 13".

15. friendlyghost macrumors member

I've found that blue links are purple all the time. Greens seem almost florescent.

16. wakka092 macrumors 6502

wakka092

Anything blue (especially text) is purple. Greens are OMG-just-got-off-of-a-rollercoaster-going-to-vomit face green.

Nothing too crazy though. Wouldn't want to go through the hassle. Not worth it.

17. iag48 macrumors regular

I have the same screen as you guys and I did notice my google links look purple. The links are always that color. I can't notice any lagging or fades or such defects. Perhaps it just needs to be calibrated? Screen is beautiful, I love it.

18. Jollins macrumors regular

Jollins

9C9E screen here, and I do notice that google result links look a bit more purple when I scroll, as opposed to appearing blue when not scrolling. Green looks fine though, I don't see this "wave" effect.

Perhaps this is a variation between different 9C9E screens?

Edit: I just calibrated my display, and google results text no longer turns purple while scrolling. My calibration could use some more tweaking though. Does anyone else with a 9C9E screen want to post their calibration settings file?

19. phrozen209 macrumors newbie

Here's mine, I adjusted it in my room, which has a compact florescent 23W bulb as lighting.

Attached Files:

20. vardamir macrumors newbie

Just got my new 13" MacBook Pro and I notice the purple links turning bright blue while scrolling. I also noticed the "wave effect" on graphics when scrolling with the scroll bar while on the Apple Home Page. Interestingly this problem does not seem to manifest when scrolling with the trackpad.

21. Jottle macrumors 6502

This happens on my 15'' 9CA3 new unibody (June) macbook pro. No worries guys. This isn't a defect. It's how these displays work for some reason. You can see this on some lighter colored text as well. When you scroll text, the color changes slightly. I'm sure other 15'' users will note this too if they test it out. It's especially noticeable on the google links however.

22. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

Bought my 13" MBP today 9C9E screen. Returned it same day. Worst screen ever! All blue links were purple, whites looked yellow, screen was washed out. Horrible. :cool:

23. buckeye17 macrumors member

Should have used one of the calibration profiles in the thread on this board. Makes it look realllllly, reallllly good. I was shocked at how different it looked compared to the "stock" profile.

24. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

Did that. :D Didn't help.

25. bmms8 macrumors 68020

hey i have downloaded a profile from a member here, how can i implement it onto my computer? thanks!