New MBP to be timed with MBA release in Stores?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AirmanPika, Jan 21, 2008.

1. AirmanPika macrumors 6502

AirmanPika

I wonder if the new MBP is timed to come out at the same time in stores as the MBA. It would certainly fit the "soon" claims and help get people in stores.

2. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

But surely this would detract from the MBA?

Apple either need to get the MBP in stores now before the MBA or a week or 2 after

3. AirmanPika thread starter macrumors 6502

AirmanPika

Maybe but also apple may be using the MBA Halo effect. Draw in customers who wanna see, then declare there is something more practical and sell that. It can go both ways really.

4. SheriffParker macrumors 6502a

SheriffParker

Yeah I would guess a few weeks after.

MBA has to take center stage for a while. Get all the lusters to spring for one. Once the initial rush dies, the MBP comes out and half the people who bought MBAs come back for the new MBP.

5. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

The way I've gauged things from reading the threads since MWSF is that the people who were expecting (and waiting) for a MBP update have instead gone for a MBA.

Apple don't want to lure people in with the MBA to then sell them the MBP, they want to sell the MBA and they need to sell it to prevent it from being a flop.

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I'd have to disagree. Nearly every thread I've read shows an overwhelming majority of MBP folks either buying a current MBP, a current MB, or continuing to wait. Very few have gone for the MBA instead. You can see the votes of a hundred deciders in this poll.

7. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

What does the MBA give that a MB doesn't?

8. gescom macrumors regular

gescom

9. eddietr macrumors 6502a

Really? That hasn't been my impression at all. If you're waiting for a new MBP, then presumably it's because you care about penryn and maybe an evolved case, but you need an MBP. I can't see going from that to an MBA. I don't know anyone who has.

It's like waiting for the 2008 mid-size sedan to come out and then giving up and getting the roadster instead.

10. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Aluminum? :)

11. eddietr macrumors 6502a

I know two people who should have bought MBs this year, who bought MBP's because of the Al.

For me, being someone who cut my teeth on a NeXTstation, I think the best feature of the MB is that it's available in black! To me, it's a little color NeXTstation running the current version of NEXTstep well over 100 times faster than my NeXTstation did. :)

If Apple would make a black MBA, my MBA would be in the classifieds in about 3 nanoseconds. That would be gorgeous.