New mbp today! Are any photogs out there changing the display settings

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cambi, Aug 9, 2012.

1. cambi macrumors newbie

First off a warning that I am new today to mac. The machine seems amazing. I cannot believe how much more saturated and vibrant the colors are. My prints do not match this level of color. In fact I am embarrassed that some of my images were this saturated online to some. My pc laptop I know was muted but, do I need to tone it down as a photog? I don't want to under edit images.

2. Chiffs macrumors newbie

Welcome, im is the same boat. My 1st macbook pro should be here on Tuesday.

To get a true colour you will need to get the screen calibrated.

I've just purchase a spyder 4 elite to do this which should be with me tomorrow.

This will enable me to correct the screen settings.

3. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

A screen calibration is really your best/only option to perfect what you see to what you print and distribute.

4. cambi thread starter macrumors newbie

Man. In the past two months $3000 D800 which required upgrades software and faster cf cards $500, $3000 MBP, now a spyder elite $220. Plus I am dying to get the 24-70. I need a rate increase!!

I have seen people speaking of callibration devices and I was just hoping to bypass that by switching to mac. I am going to need to do something. The color to me on these rmbp while stunning are too enhanced. I am going to underedit with the display as is.

5. axu539 macrumors 6502a

Tell me about it. I picked up a D700 and 24-70 last month and have my rMBP coming tomorrow. Now I need to scrape together enough funds for my 70-200 for a job next month.

6. Textureboy macrumors 6502

Textureboy

Just ordered the rMBP an I'm planning to get the D800 soon as well! D800 uses USB 3.0 = faster data transfer with the rMBP :D

7. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Get a huey, works great and is cheap :)

8. cambi thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, This year is more about investing in equipment for the bus. Next year Paris sounds nice! Tired of buying gear. Though nothing funner than seeing your new results with upgrades. Although I am swimming in those megapixels from d800. Taking some figuring out how to lose detail (like hair on a womans upper lip haha). But the prints are spectacular!

With the RMBP Got to say I am loving the speed. I tried a heavy action surface blur that used to take 20 minutes on my pc laptop. It is about 1 minute. That is huge improvement. I don't use that all the time but so nice to not sit waiting so much

Going to look into that Huey

Sorry, feeling chatty. Thanks for the posts!

9. Textureboy macrumors 6502

Textureboy

What made me fall in love more with MAC as a Photographer is the built in compatibility with opening RAW files. It's such a hassle for windows having to install extra codecs. But with the OS X it opens it like JPEG! You're making me extra excited for my rMBP! Can't wait to edit photo's on it.

10. Hioctane macrumors newbie

I've also recently taken the leap from PC to Mac. My rMBP arrived roughly 3 weeks ago and the difference in both speed and screen quality from my Dell laptop is staggering!
    The Dell, now 5 years old, was starting to struggle a little with viewing and processing the RAW images from my 5D MkIII. Just before my Mac arrived I had to process 728 RAW's to JPG from a recent wedding. After just under two hours the Dell had only managed 190 images. I ended up having to leave it running over night. The rMBP just sails through them :)
    I'm running my rMBP in the highest scaled setting and I can't say I've noticed any issues with the UI that others have mentioned. Either it's not present or I'm still blinded by the quality of the screen :D

11. cambi thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes the machine is amazing. My hp laptop is on running next to it and sounds like a bus. These macs are so quiet and start up just like that. Amazing

Thing I am noticing right away, I am going to need the bigger monitor. I see that some people are not big fans of the thunderbolt. I really can't pay more than $1000. Would love to hear suggestions or what you are doing.

12. Textureboy macrumors 6502

Textureboy

Yours isn't the Retina right? Here is a cheaper version of the Thunderbolt display. http://www.cinemaview.com/product/cinemaview-24led-display

13. wurdz921 macrumors newbie

I bought the Color Munki Photo and used it on both my rMBP and also my Thunderbolt Display hands down nothing i've used is as good as the Color Munki. It even allowed me to profile my Canon Pixma Pro-1 printer. Wonderful investment.