New MBP tomorrow, what happens with my iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Surely, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Surely Guest

Surely

I'm getting a new MBP tomorrow, and I'm planning on starting it as a fresh computer (I'm not doing the migration thing). I've decided to drag files, docs, applications, music, videos, photos, etc. over manually and then reconfiguring my preferences again myself.

What will happen to my iPhone? It is synced to my current MB's iTunes library. Once I drag over all of my iTunes content from my MB to the new MBP, and sign into my iTunes account with my current username and password on the new MBP, will my iPhone recognize the new MBP's iTunes as its native library? Do my most recent iPhone backups get copied over along with all the other iTunes content? Or will it think that I am trying to connect to a new library and ask me to restore and resync? I'm concerned about losing (see, I spelled losing correctly) camera roll photos, and game progress.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Yeah, just copy your iTunes library folder to your new computer. (You will also want to make sure that the current computer is on the latest version.)

3. Surely thread starter Guest

Surely

Thanks. I'm glad to know it'll be easy.

So just to make sure......... I shouldn't drag the contents of the iTunes folder into the new iTunes folder, but I should drag the whole iTunes folder into the sidebar menu Places > Music?

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The latter is what I did. I guess to clarify further: just make sure that both versions of iTunes are the same, making them both the most current seems the easiest solution.

5. PeterKG macrumors 6502

Actually you will need to copy more than just your iTunes library. Transfer these too, or you will loose your synced data......

User-Music-iTunes
    User-Library-iTunes
    User-Application Support-MobileSync

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Not true...
    I just got a MBP last month, upgrading from a white MacBook. I copied over just the itunes folder, made sure the library was the same on both computers, plugged in my phone. It then created a new backup and everything was exactly the same.

OP just copy over the iTunes library, make sure they are the same, plug your phone in, it will take a few to create the new backup but then you are good to go. Took me all of 5-10 minutes to do all of that...(plus the copy over time of course).

Congrats on your new MBP have fun with it! :D

7. PeterKG macrumors 6502

Is True.
    If you read the OP post, it asks how to retain PREVIOUS backups. Did you even look in the folders I suggested the OP to copy over? Copying the all three folders will mean no need for iTunes to create a new backup at all.

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

My bad, I misunderstood it.

But considering OP is asking for the most recent one, wouldn't it pretty much be the same as I just stated? because once you plug your phone it, it would create a newer backup anyway, so technically wouldn't it just save the time of copying those over...? Right? :confused:

I just looked at the backup folder and saw all my backups since I got my MBP, I understand more what you mean now, sorry about saying you were incorrect. I thought all s/he was worried about was just the latest one, incase something went wrong where a restore was needed.

9. PeterKG macrumors 6502

No war here. You are correct in your suggestions too. I always copy them all this way no need to download the OS again or carrier file in case of doing a restore, and then of course previous backups just in case something goes wrong.

Peace!

10. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Yeah I understand now. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

11. Surely thread starter Guest

Surely

Awesome. Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the help.

I think I understand what I'll need to do tomorrow.

I'll let you guys know how it goes...........
    :cool:

12. petefza macrumors newbie

Quick follow up question to the OP's question...

If I want to sync my iphone to a new computer, but I want to use the music library on the new computer instead of the music library on the old computer, what do I need to copy from the old one in order to sync to the new one. In other words, I want to copy everything except my music to the new computer since all of my music is on the new computer and only some of it is on the old computer.

Thanks...

13. Surely thread starter Guest

Surely

Well, the iTunes transferring went well. Thanks for everyone's help. I followed PeterKG's specifics:
    User-Music-iTunes
    User-Library-iTunes
    User-Library- Application Support-MobileSync

Unfortunately, I also transferred an annoying issue over to my MBP. It involves not being able to update my iiPhone Apps. You can read about the problem here. If anyone has any ideas on how to correct it, I'd appreciate that.