Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msregister

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
I have a new Macbook Pro base version (no touchbar) with the new large touchpad. I find when you press down on the touchpad it makes a "tinny" sound, like when pressing on a tin can...anybody with the new touchpad find this too?

fob

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2015
normal, and there's no longer the option for silent clicking

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Are you talking about tap to click? They really got rid of that?
No, Tap to click is still there, but if you choose to actually click it makes a sound. Apparently there was a setting on the 2015 model to turn the sound off.
[doublepost=1478047411][/doublepost]
On the subject of clicking, do Force Touch trackpads still allow for tap to select?
Yes.

Reactions: dk808

powertoold

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2014
I have a new Macbook Pro base version (no touchbar) with the new large touchpad. I find when you press down on the touchpad it makes a "tinny" sound, like when pressing on a tin can...anybody with the new touchpad find this too?

In the settings, I think you can change how much first creates a click. Try to change that around?

5iMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2014
the sound/energy for the click does not change. Still it's no louder than my 2015 15" MBP, just sounds a little lower and more pitched.

creamz

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2015
The silent clicking is still there. I tried it once. Prefer to stick with the sound. Feels more pleasant imo.

motime

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2015
I tried out the trackpad, it makes a really cheap sound now. Why did Apple do this? Makes no sense.

justywusty

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Since it's solid state, the sound would just be there to make it seem like it's being clicked.

What does it sound like when you do it with your computer off?

SaddleSC

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2010

I tried out the trackpad, it makes a really cheap sound now. Why did Apple do this? Makes no sense.

YES! I own a rMB 2016 and a new MBP (non-TB) and the trackpad on the rMB feels much nicer and has more of a nice solid thump. The MBP feels very tinny and has a louder, but less noticeable click. It is hard to explain, but the trackpad on the new MBP just feels cheap in comparison.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.