Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Received my new MacBook Pro yesterday. After letting it migrate everything overnight. I've finally had some time to use it today. At first, I was having some issues with the trackpad not scrolling. Looking around, I realized that I had migrated SideTrack over from my PowerBook.

But having removed it (both the extension and prefpane), restarting, running Software Update, and restarting again, the trackpad still won't scroll. It recognizes other two-finger gestures, and the three- and four-finger gestures, but it simply won't scroll, in any app. It is recognizing the two-finger gesture as such; the cursor doesn't move. As well, occasionally the cursor won't move for a couple seconds after I start tracking.

Also, the trackpad click is kinda funky. As a PowerBook owner since the 540c, I'm used to weirdness with tap-to-click (although Tiger made my PowerBook's tap-to-click way better than it ever had been). But I've never had a problem with the physical click. Intermittently, it's not registering the mouseUp: event. That is; it stays "clicked" in software even after I've released the button. I didn't have this problem playing around with these in the store. Should I try restoring and migrating things manually? Or should I just assume it's a hardware problem and take it in for replacement?

KSpider

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2006
San Diego, CA
It's intermittently not clicking at all now. Gotta be a hardware problem, I guess.

I returned my first for not registering many clicks - my new one is being returned today for a different issue, though, i did notice some clicks not registering, not as bad as my first one...

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Update:

For anyone experiencing these problems:

If you migrated from a previous Mac, open up a Terminal window and run the following command

rm ~/Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist

This solved 90% of my trackpad issues. The rest are probably addressable in a software update.

Note that this will reset a bunch of System Preferences settings as well, and will make .Mac/MobileMe funky - just reset them, and sign out and sign in to MobileMe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.