New Mbp - Two Week Review

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Harlowgold1, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Harlowgold1 macrumors regular

Harlowgold1

Hello all! It is Jenny! Well, I am now into week two of owning my MacBook Pro. I am absolutely in LOVE :p I had serious doubts about migrating to Apple and all of my doubts are gone.

First off, the transition was very easy. Yes, the first week may be agitating at times as you break yourself from thinking like a Windows user. In OS X everything is so well organized and you are not overwhelmed with layers of ridiculous menu options. My MAC picked up my home network (along with everyone else in my community :) so connecting was a breeze! I was somewhat disappointed in the things it did not recognize - for example, my HP printer and my Canon digital camera - These are popular hardware devices.

My display is FANTASTIC - IT IS SO EASY ON MY EYES and the glossy display does not distract me in the least. (Although I still do not know how to change to enhanced graphics). The trackpad is a dream and a definite productivity booster. I purchased my AppleCare of eBay for $165.00 and it registered without a hitch. I had to call AppleCare twice for assistance and their support is well worth the money...AND THEY SPEAK ENGLISH!!!

One thing I dislike is the sharp edge of the MBP where my wrists sit. I guess a suicide device if needed - OUCH!!! This edge needs beveled! I did have one crash and you do get the beach ball :( but there is no such thing as a perfect system.

I was going to load Windows on my system but there is no way now! So, now I am saving up for a either a iMac or Mini for a desktop replacement this summer!

Thanks all! Blessings - Jenny

2. shigzeo macrumors 6502a

shigzeo

thanks for the blessing. treat it well and it will treat you well. i have enjoyed my switch since 2004. been great and macrumors.com crowd are great as well!

3. sesnir macrumors 6502

I've had my MBP for two weeks now too, and I agree... all of my fears were for nothing. I mean I had a Mac Mini for iPhone development so I knew I'd like it, but I was worried about getting a laptop with technical problems.

So far, so good :)

And migrating to a new hard drive was the easiest process ever. Basically just click a button and come back 2 hours later. It just works... imagine that.

I just wish the unibody was a bit better about 7200rpm hdds... the vibrating that I can feel as I type is making me agonize over what to do about it.

And I was going to put Windows on my laptop too (bootcamp in case I wanted to play some steam games?) but decided against it... since that'd be a decent chunk of my hard drive dedicated to something I'd likely never use. And I hate using windows :p

4. kimkrause macrumors newbie

macbook pro?

has anyone else received a dodgy macbook pro. i was shocked at the bad quality of the screen after i compared it to my 13 inch alu macbook. side by side the 13 inch had much better color fidelity from left to right. the 15 inch on the other hand goes completley yellow if you are a bit off centre. i thought the "pro" was supposed to have a better screen. and also my screen keeps falling back all by its lone. it feels floppy and loose compared to the 13 inch which had a nice resistance to it. if i pick up the machine at a certain angle the lid actually closes and puts the damn thing to sleep. i wish i had kept my lovely 13 incher...this 15 is going back asap......
    bad mac......

5. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

To swap to the higher graphics option, go into Energy Saver preferences. In the top right you'll see a Graphics option, tick "higher performance". You'll need to log out and in again to get the change to work, but then job's a good 'un.

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Thats not normal, the Macbook Pro's have far superior screens than the Macbooks.
    You can go to any Apple store within your 14 day period and get it replaced free no questions asked.

7. pkagel macrumors regular

I've had mine now for just over two weeks also and am just loving it. I haven't had a Mac since 1991 so things have really improved over the years. Most of my problems have been breaking out of the windows type thinking. I've told my GF that her next computer is going to be a Mac and she thinks that is just dandy.

8. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

The edges could be softened up a bit I agree. The MBP is already a desktop replacement. Have you considered just getting an external monitor with it? MBP + Monitor could do almost everything an iMac or a Mini + Monitor could do.

9. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

What do you mean by not being able to load Windows?
    And like that guy above said, a MBP is a very strong machine. Maybe even better than the current iMac.

10. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Translate: has no NEED for Windows (because of satisfaction with OS X).

11. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

I made the switch to the MBP a couple of weeks ago and now I hate using Windows other than for games. Of course, I had to get rid of my windows habit but its coming alone. I agree about the sharp edges. It needs to be beveled! I get indentations after a couple of minutes of typing. OS X actually looks like a 21st Century system as opposed to Windows. This is my first OS X experience and so far its a great one. There is no such thing as a perfect OS but Mac is close enough.