new MBP (unibody) or previous gen MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mondp, Nov 3, 2008.

1. mondp macrumors newbie

hi, Im looking to getting a MBP, but I dont know which one. they both seem to have the same tech specs, except that the newer one has the unibody, buttonless trackpad, and black bordered glossy screen... other than that, I dont see much difference in terms of performance between both...

what makes the previous MBP very enticing is that for the same specs as the new one, except its around $400 less!

:confused: which should I get? :confused:

thanks!

PS:
    I do 2d and 3d animation so I plan to dual boot this baby with Windows XP for Maya and Flash 8,
    and do the post prod in OSX using Shake, After Effects, and Final Cut.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

they dont both have the same specs. here are the differences.

but the old MacBook Pro has either matte or glossy and a Firewire 400 port as well as the 800 which could be an advantage to you.

its your choice really. the will both handle your needs fine and the new MacBook Pro will perform better.

3. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

my only worry would be that if you are gonna be pounding your graphics card on Maya as the previous gen macbook pro had problems with the GeForce 8600M card they use. But Im sure the chances of that being an issue are small.
    i love my new Unibody though, and would definitely recommend it, no matter all the other whining about it.

4. astudentis macrumors regular

Okay so i have compared the older one and the newer one side by side

The newer one difinately looks better... when compared to the old one, the older design definately "seems" outdated.... but when u have the older one by it self it still looks like an awesome machine

Now screen, the older matte screen kind of seems dull/washed out (still bright though)... the new glass screen definately have more "Pop" in terms of colour saturation.... your eyes can definately tell the difference when they are side by side

Also the new processors and ram front side bus of 1066 makes the computer more responsive to opening up applications faster, loading, etc.

PS I am comparing:
    New one: 2.4GHz 3mb L2 cache, 1066Mhz, 2GB ram, 9600GT 256mb
    Old one (matte): 2.5GHz 6mb L2 cache, 800Mhz, 2GB ram, 8600GT 512mb

5. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

ok so a few points:

1. The old machines were great pieces of kit (im using a two year old mbp to type this now) and its treated me VERY well over the last couple of years, without me mothering it at all!

2. The new machines are pretty sweet looking, but concern me through their glossy screens, which I personally have found contribute a greater amount of eyestrain than matte displays.

3. I have heard that the differences between the 8600 and 9600 is minimal, and that furthermore, with 512 of memory, the 8600 could possibly be better (although someone with more experience should clarify)

4. While it is true that the old mbp suffered with graphics issues, which would be of particular interest when your desired use for the machine is considered, it is also true that these new machines are a REV A of an entirely different shape etc and as such we know not of the problems which may arise in the next six months, whereas the previous mbp has been around for yonks.

5. Keyboard is totally a matter of taste, but check both out and see which YOU prefer!

6. you save $400 and get a faster cpu, but slower fsb and slightly smaller hard drive BUT.......

7....... refurb machines very often come with bumped specs from what is displayed on the apple site, and as such elements such as hard drive and ram could be much better if you go for a refurb.

8. Firewire 400 AND 800 plus an actual DVI port

In the new macs favour:

1. Absolutely gorgeous design, cant stress that enough

2. looks more 'up-to-date'

3. faster fsb

4. larger HD

5. Accessible HD

6. its brand new

7. better graphics card?

Ho:)pe that helps

6. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I bought the SR the week they came out (summer '07), and after about 6 months I sometimes got graphics glitches. I didn't have AppleCare either, but I called apple. They were very helpful and a few days later I delivered my MBP at my local store on my way to the uni. At lunch they called me and it was done :)
    So it didn't cost me anything and I was without my MBP for only half a day!
    That is what I call perfect service!

Just thought I wanted to share it, because it seems people only speak up when they have horror-stories here :p

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Whatever you buy, you'll end up with a terrific computer. If money matters, go for the refurb MBP; if having the latest in technological development and fashion is what matters, then I suggest you go for the new MBP. Personally, I'd go the refurb route, for many of the reasons cited by student_trap. Notwithsatnding that, at the end of the day, it's your call.

Cheers and good luck

8. mondp thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks so much for all your input guys. they help a lot. :)

right now the MBP Classic looks better for the following reasons:

1. price (i save $400, which makes it cheaper than PC laptops with similar specs! and which I can use to max out my RAM)
    2. firewire 400 and 800
    3. I can wait for revision B or C of the new glassbookpro, after all its possible bugs get exposed and ironed out, by then I will probably upgrade
    4. 512mb video card
    5. slightly faster processor, which will make up for its FSB.

thanks again guys. any additional input is still welcome. :)

9. senorfrog97 macrumors regular

There are a couple of new unibody 2.4ghz MBPs on Ebay going for $1800 and $1899 from reputable sellers. After the live.com discount of $200 they'd only cost $1600 and $1699.

10. isethx macrumors regular

IF you don't care about money i'd get the new ones hands down

11. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Get the new one. It's built much better architecturally and a better quality screen. If you want anti-glare/matte screen, go with the older generation.