New MBP: Upgrade Lion First?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GoGamecocks, Jul 22, 2011.

1. GoGamecocks macrumors member

My MBP is arriving in the mail today!!!! Thank you Apple for shipping it early :D

Question for you all: Should I upgrade to Lion right when I get my MBP? I don't see why not, but then again this is my first Mac, so I thought it would be best to ask.

Thank you in advance

2. MaxxTraxx macrumors 6502

I say go for it! That way you don't get to attach to SL.

3. ABadSanta macrumors regular

I also purchased a 2011 MBP and love it. Used snow Leopard for a month, and finally installed Lion on its release day on Wednesday.

Ever since then, my battery life has decreased by at least 2 hours, i get error beach balls left and right, my computer calculates battery life at random times, and one time I couldn't even shut down my computer or close any apps.

Obviously this is only my situation, and many other people here have almost only good things to say about the change. Hopefully you will have a better experience, especially since your Lion install will be a lot cleaner than mine was.

4. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

it may come with it already install depending on when you bought it...

5. GoGamecocks thread starter macrumors member

I bought it last Saturday, and it was put together this Monday, so you could be right.

6. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I agree

7. jbjones85 macrumors member

I would do it right away so you don't get used to SL. I've had mine (first mac) for about a month and got used to SL and not certain things in Lion are extremly annoying; although they wouldn't be if I had never used the SL "equal"

8. GoGamecocks thread starter macrumors member

And you are correct! Updating software now!! And once that is done I will calibrate the battery. When should I run time saver?

9. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

You might as well do a clean install of Lion as opposed to an upgrade since your won't have any files on the computer anyways.

Edit: Ermm.. Nevermind, I see it shipped with Lion. :p

10. GoGamecocks thread starter macrumors member

I was wrong. Thought OS X was lion, but OS X 10.7 is lion while I have OS X 10.6.8

Downloading Lion now. Hope it doesn't take too long. Might have to pause the download, and restart it when I get back to my house

11. snaky69 macrumors 603

You can't pause it, it'll start over again.

I'd keep Snow Leopard and have the early adopters work out the bugs. Lion is buggy at best right now.

12. GoGamecocks thread starter macrumors member

True, but I get a free upgrade before August 18.

13. snaky69 macrumors 603

Yes, you're also under no obligation to install it right away.