New mbp upgrade...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spmiz12, Dec 4, 2010.

1. spmiz12 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Finally got my mbp.... Also separately ordered OWC ram module, and a larger hdd... Before I do anything as far as install upgrades, load parallels or any other programs. I need so advice....

Should I go ahead with stock mbp and install parallels, windows and all my software first; then do a complete backup prior to adding new hardware; or should I go ahead and just add the hardware then build on that???

Also, is there a guide to make the backupand reload full proof???

2. SteinMaster macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

I would do all my hardware upgrades then migrate your data and applications. Why migrate all the data and apps then upgrade the hardware? Once your system is upgraded, use Migration Assistant to bring over all your data and apps.

3. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

Best option for backup and reload is Carbon Copy Cloaner - just get the HDD in an external drive bay and copy everything over. Seeing as how you've just gotten the macbook, I would go ahead and do the upgrades, run the install from the install disk and load your software afterwards. Makes it the cleanest way to do it.

Time machine also does great at backups for me.

4. spmiz12 thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I know some people get offended by some very basic questions, but some of us are trying to learn; so I hope some people won't chastise me for asking you this..... How do you make sure that Time Machine is doing a complete backup????

5. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Time Machine always does a complete backup unless you tell it not to. ie, go into the TM prefs and add folders to not back up.

You can open your time machine backup disk, open the folders inside, and see what it has backed up also.