Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mhcueball2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
Had a rMBP 256GB for work. Feel in love with it.

No longer have the job or the rMBP. Need to get a new laptop.

Should I go with the MBP 15in 2.3 and upgrade the memory to 16GB (and possibly a SSD later). Or go with the rMBP 15in 2.3 8GB and not have any upgrade potential?

I love the rMBP and want to get it TODAY...the size, weight, retina display.
BUT don't want to screw myself out of potential upgrades later.

My needs: few local websites running PHP/MySQL, Coda, photoshop, possibly some video here and there. Nothing too crazy.

TheRichboy247

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2012
I think you should go for the rMBP if you love it so much but if you're afraid of not being able to upgrade, you should opt for the 16GB's of RAM for the rMBP instead of the 8 that comes standard. You should also think about an external drive to store other info on so you won't be filling up the 256GB's of SSD.

If portability is an issue, you might wanna go rMBP because the MBP is quite heavy.

Whatever one you choose, you will be happy.

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
I think you should go for the rMBP if you love it so much but if you're afraid of not being able to upgrade, you should opt for the 16GB's of RAM for the rMBP instead of the 8 that comes standard. You should also think about an external drive to store other info on so you won't be filling up the 256GB's of SSD.

If portability is an issue, you might wanna go rMBP because the MBP is quite heavy.

Whatever one you choose, you will be happy.

Listen to him. He knows what he's talking about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.