New MBP user, what should I know about?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by onne2slick, Jun 9, 2010.

1. onne2slick macrumors regular

I'm a new MBP user as of yesterday! First Mac ever! I got it as a gift.
    Anyways, i'm still getting use to using the Mac operating system, it's very different from windows.

Is there anything I should know about - in terms of keeping my MBP in good shape - physically and internally? Or any tips you can suggest?

- Does Macs heat up quickly/ often? If it does, what should I do about it?
    - Do you reccommend purchasing the apple care $299 for 13inch? Is it really worth it?
    - Would you reccommend a sleeve or a case? Or both?
    I was thinking about the Incase sleeve, until I read on macrumors about the zipper scratching the mac? :eek: But, I heard it's improved and renamed, to Incase Neopreme Plus? Does anyone know if that solved the solution?

Thanks! :D

2. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

1 - they can heat up quickly and depending on what you do, may heat up often. But its normal so don't worry about it.

2 - If you plan on keeping your machine for longer then a year yes, I'd buy it

3 - have no experiences with cases or sleeves. MBP in my sig is my 5th Apple laptop and I've never bought a case/sleeve for it. Never had any scratching issues etc.

3. st!an macrumors newbie

I bought the incase neoprene plus sleeve for my MBP 13" - I'm happy with it so far..

I don't think it will scratch anything unless you're completely careless.

4. mudwoman22 macrumors member

congrats =)

I got a mac a couple of weeks ago...and have been researching nonstop...

so I have a ton of probably unnecessary tips and other random stuff (newbie tips):

1. For the heat: download smc fancontrol...and keep your fans high (around 3200 rpm) when you're running an app that takes a lot of energy

2. Everyone says applecare is worth it...everyone

3.neoprene rocks, yay...and I've found I don't need much more than a sleeve

I also have a moshi keyboard cover (its overpriced but nice) because I'm always eating and drinking next to my computer (stupid I know..but this helps protect it)

lets see...
    get the iStat for your dashboard and it will help you monitor your computer...also
    Calibrate your battery if you haven't done so already

and...you should be set

just don't throw it off of rooftops and keep it clean

5. mudwoman22 macrumors member

oo..I want to post some more (I'm hyperactive and its two in the morning...something's off)

ok...apps you should get ..now, that you already probably know about:

smc fan control (I said that already,...completely free...control the heat on your mac)
    VLC (watch movies and listen to stuff through here for louder volumes)
    in the future: free trial of daisy disk (it's beautiful and tells you what's eating up the most space on your computer)
    handbrake (yes)
    some kind of appcleaner
    radioshift (freaking awesome...if you're a dork like me and still listen to radiostations...plus you can listen to different stations from all around the world...moscow mumbai...etc...get the free trial..and you can record stuff you don't have time to listen to)
    Caffeine (indispensable when you want to watch movies or something)

and...I've found, that's all I really need...for now anyway ;)
    I'm new to mac too...
    I'm in love

also: just tink around with system preferences and find what works for you (especially with the trackpad)
    make sure to run your system updates, restart and then press disk utilities, click your hard drive and click "repair disk permissions"..you really only have to do that once...or if you accidentally delete something important (oops..I did that four times)...then it repairs it...lifesaver

ok...I could rant with you for hours...but I'll leave now <3

6. McMoronic, Jun 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2011

McMoronic macrumors member