New MBP user

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by musicloverdenon, Aug 4, 2012.

1. musicloverdenon macrumors newbie

So far in my life I had never used anything else than Windows. It's the first time I got myself an MBP 13" early 2011 model. It came with SL pre-installed which I upgraded to ML. Though, I missing lot of window machine features (or they might be available in MBP, I am just yet to figure out), I am loving the overall experience :)

2. appletechpro macrumors regular

Welcome to the world of Apple. I'm sure you will enjoy your MBP.

If you need to still run Windows programs, I highly suggest using Parallels Desktop.

https://nct.parallels.com/fulfill/0285.011

3. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Which windows features are you missing?

5. musicloverdenon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot mate :)

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

7. musicloverdenon thread starter macrumors newbie

You seem to be using almost all the Apple products :). I bought this coz I liked the iOS thats something I can't live without.
    I won't say I've made the switch, coz I'll still be mostly using Windows for my office work. My office has provided me a Lenovo thinkpad with Windows and Office 2007 and thats what they support. Meanwhile I got this MBP for home use and trying to learn.

----------

I am a Finance professional and mostly work with files involving lot of data, sometimes more than 50K line items in an excel file. While working on those files in Windows, I can quickly go to top or bottom with "Control+Home" button or "Control+End". I also noticed that there is no Page Up/Page Down button here, however trackpad scrolling works for that. I am yet to figure out alternative for Control+Home/End.

Also, I was wondering if I should make separate partition of disks. I have made three partitions of my Windows PC. One for OS, another for office files and last one for personal storage. It also helps in recovering data in the event something goes wrong with the OS where I can still recover data from remaining two partitions. Right now I have stored everything in one partition in this MBP.

----------

Thanks mate, I'll go through the link in detail.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

196 useful Keyboard Shortcuts for Excel 2011.
    You can make separate partitions, but it's not necessary. Just maintain a current backup and you can restore the OS without affecting your personal files, if needed. Also, you can restore personal files without affecting the OS. You can use Time Machine for backups or an app like Carbon Copy Cloner to make bootable clones of your drive.

9. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Welcome to the world of Mac.

I made the switch last year and have loved using my Early 2011 MBP ever since. I have Windows 7 installed using Boot Camp (mainly for Office and Gaming). I missed a few features from Windows at first but then learnt to live without them. OS X is just so easy to use and the trackpad is the BEST thing about the MBP.

10. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

11. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

I started out hating apple but bought an iPod mini years ago. When the iPhone became reality, I went with that to to eliminate the iPod and was hooked for life every iteration so far. Last year, I picked up my first Mac which was an MBA and the obsession grew to all the other things on the signature. I thought it was going to be a tough transition and I had initially thought I would just run Windows on the MBA. The switch was easy and now I only run Windows for their Office 2010.

12. ParsiKade macrumors newbie

Hey, I've been a Mac user for less than a year now and I've got to say that I love my Mac. First I thought I couldn't live without some of my Windows programs but after a while I found some good apps on my Mac that could handle all my needs and now I can't live without them!!

So, I just wanted to share my experience with you and I'm sure you will love Mac as much as I did. ;)