New MBP versus MBA (fall 2010)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bigstigs, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Bigstigs macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

I just purchased a new MBP 13 inch (standard specs) but am having second thoughts. It's my first mac, so I figured I'd come here for help.
    I normally run CS4 and Final Cut (among other programs) and I find the MBP to be just fine for this. However, I'm being drawn into the Air's size and attractiveness. But I'm torn.....does it make sense for me to purchase a 13 inch MBA and upgrade it to 4GB ram and return the MBP?

I guess I'm just curious as to the speed difference and the "power to size" comparison. I'm hesitant to buy a MBA bc, realistically, it's outdated technology whereas the MBP is as updated as you can get it.

Now, I will probably hear the "SSD is a good reason to go Air"....well, I think either way, if I do decide to go with the MBP, I will return my current one and upgrade to the 128 ssd drive.

FYI, this is my primary machine....no other one for me, so I need it to do everything.

Ok, I've rambled on enough. Would love to hear your responses or have you point me in the right direction to other threads.

Thanks!

-Bigstigs

2. 1quick1 macrumors member

I'd keep the MBP. The processor is significantly better than the one in the AIR.

3. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

MBP hands down. You can upgrade the HD without returning your computer. It's actually better to do that yourself anyway. Pop a SSD in there and it will blow the Air out of the water.

4. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

Not really. Air's screen resolution neglects the outdated processor.

5. Bigstigs thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it worth it to get the ssd on the pro? I basically am putting money into this so it can last me a long time. My thought is I will save all larger files on an external (possibly one with the thunderbolt port).

Again, I'm so drawn to the Air because of its size and I guess my thinking is if I can get away with getting the Air, sacrificing the speed and power might be worth it. I don't know. If it can run the programs I mentioned quickly, maybe it is worth it.

6. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

The way I look at it is this, the MBP is a lot faster and more powerful. Its also easy to upgrade and repair compared to the MBA.

The MBA is lighter, smaller and thinner. Its also not user-upgradable except for some minor exceptions.

So, if you need the power of the MBP than you won't be happy with the Air. Plus, the MBP can be cheaply upgraded to 8 gigs of ram and if you are willing to spend the money you can get 16 in one too... There's not an Air made today that will compare to the power and options.

So, its a tradeoff. No one can tell you what you need, I suspect. You'd have to look at how you use the machines. If you are pushing your Pro pretty hard than I suspect an Air would be noticeably slower for you. Its a more casual thing and you aren't pushing very hard the Air would work for you. For now.

I'd have a hard time recommending an Air as the only machine for someone interested in digital media production. You might be able to live with it but I think every time you applied a CS4 filter you'd be reminded of the tradeoff you made. Lol, but than, every time you pull the Pro out of the bag you'll get a similar reminder...

Lol, I'm no help at all.

7. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

I respectfully disagree. I think that doing work like CS5 or Final Cut Pro would be better served on an external monitor anyway. The i5 or i7 would speed up these programs considerably over an Air. Plus, the OP can add a SSD or up to 16 GB of RAM if they so choose. Not an option with the Air. You get a way more powerful machine for the same money.

8. iMackPro macrumors 6502

where do your work?
    desk = mbp
    train=air
    subway=air
    plane=air
    office=mbp

how often do you run FC CS5 ? it sounds like youd be better off with an Ultimate Air. It can handle what youre wanting to do and its so impressively small. but, the AIR HAS NO BACKLIT KEYS!!!!!!! AGGGGGGGGGGG the only reason i didnt get it.! shame :apple: shame on you :apple:

9. DaSal macrumors regular

I was in the same position as you. Run CS5 for some heavy design work and frequently use Final Cut and After Effects too.

I just sold my Macbook Air a couple of days ago and my MBP is now on route to my house.

The Air, as awesome as it is, really is just meant for casual use. Even with the SSD it's pretty sluggish in pro apps. Sluggish enough to get in the way of my work. That's why I sold mine,

It's a shame to give up the size and weight, but oh well.

If you're really gonna do work on it I'd really recommend you go with the MBP. ;)