New mbp vs 6mo old (2.3 vs 2.7)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gxgn, Nov 23, 2013.

1. gxgn macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm torn between buying the deal of the newest mbp 2.3 ghz, 16 ram, 512 hdd for $2350 vs a used one locally 2.7ghz, 16 ram, 512 ssd for $1850.

Did anyone made this switch or compared both in real life? Most of the use will be in lightroom, some photoshop, parallels.

Do you notice the faster hdd? Does the thunderbolt 2.o brings you any advantage if you edit directly from an external hdd?

Thank you all who would chime in.

2. aiyaaabatt, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2013

aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

Are you in San Diego area (I only ask because I see the same deal, same price, on craigslist)? If you have the money, I would go with the newest one (because I can't stand the idea of dropping nearly $2k on year-old tech). However, if money is tight, I would get the $1850 one. Chances are you will notice almost no difference in terms of speed. The only real noticeable advantage haswell will bring is around 1-2 hours increased battery life.

Then again, if you buy it off craigslist, there is no return option (as these units can come with defects, albeit they are mostly minor ones)... so there is definitely more peace of mind buying from Best buy. If you are a student, you can get an additional $50 off bringing the price to $2299 as well.

3. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

True there will be no return option, but the macbook will still have 6 months of free applecare left on it, and if the buyer wants to he/she can pay the more of an additonal 2 years of applecare.

4. gxgn thread starter macrumors newbie

5. gxgn thread starter macrumors newbie

Any more advice? I see the discounted deals are running away (BB)
    Thank you all