New MBP vs Applecare?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mark28, Dec 1, 2010.

1. mark28 macrumors 68000

With a new MBP ( Sandy Bridge )
    - better specs
    - new
    - another 1 year warranty.
    - cost maybe $300-$400 to upgrade?

Applecare
    - 2 years warranty
    - 2010 MBP instead of 2011.
    - costs around $300

What's best?

2. skiltrip macrumors 68030

If it were me, I'd shoot for new. One of the luxuries of buying your first Mac, is your entered into a nice cycle where your 1 yr. old Mac is going to hold pretty good value to put toward a new one. So, for like you said, $300ish, you can continually have a new Mac, year after year.

The first one hurts. After that though, the upgrades are very digestible. If you drop $350 per year on an upgrade, it still comes out to only $29.16 a month.

But that's just my take on it.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They're not mutually exclusive :confused:

One is an extended warranty, the other is a computer. The extended warranty is for that computer. You cannot have applecare without an apple product.

For laptops, I always recommend the extra 2 years, as any work will certainly exceed the cost of applecare

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The worst time to sell is right after the update. Lots of other people are selling too and refurb prices are lower. Quite hard to predict how much you would have to pay, especially with eBay fees and stuff. I would get the AppleCare and then sell it after 2 or 3 years. You can still get good $ off of it and by the time there should already be ever newer MBPs around.

FYI, AC is as low as 245$ on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/AppleCare-Pro...K4RY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1291203900&sr=8-2

5. mark28 thread starter macrumors 68000

I meant selling this MBP and buying a new one, which will have again 1 year warranty. This transaction costs almost the same as buying Applecare, so that's why I'm thinking about it.

Maybe I'll get it for $245 at amazon perhaps, I'll have to think about it. :)

6. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Go with a squaretrade warranty instead. You get accidental damage coverage which is important. It's cheaper too and you can get a prorated amount back if you cancel the warranty. Or it adds value to the laptop you are selling if you transfer the warranty to the new owner.

7. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

8. puma1552 macrumors 601

You're going to be out more money than you think if you sell and buy another new one, even if you sell before the updated machines are released. You rarely come away with as much as you expect.