New MBP vs Late 07 iMac Screen Compare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by glxyjones, Dec 4, 2008.

1. glxyjones macrumors regular

glxyjones

I apologize for posting this again but I figured it was worth a new post since I haven't seen comparisons in my searching...

Ok, I just bought a brand new 2.5 mbp from Amazon. I plan on it replacing my iMac but so far I'm a little upset about the display.

I have the 9C84 display and I'm comparing it to my late 07 iMac display. Unless, I'm missing something, the MBP's screen is ridiculously inferior to the iMac's. No matter how many times I try to calibrate or load another MBP owners calibration profile, I can't get it to match the iMac's.

The biggest difference I notice is the brightness of the colors on the iMac vs the MBP. The colors are so much more vibrant on the iMac while the MBP just seems washed out. Should this be the case? Are the iMac's displays just naturally superior to a laptop's display like the MBP? If they are not, I'm afraid I have received one of the "crappy" displays I've been hearing so much around here.

If I do have to return it, do I go through Apple or through Amazon? Should I just take it to a local Apple store and ask for a replacement (I could also compare it to the other MBP screens on display)?

Any help or hints on how to help my display would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Here are some pictures comparing the two, I think the first pic illustrates what I'm talking about best.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 7even macrumors 6502a

Nothing wrong there. That iMac has a better panel than pretty much all available laptops, let alone MBPs. Different technology, gives better colors and better viewing angles. A 9C85 screen showed a similar effect when compared to my desktop LCD. Haven't compared my 9C84 mostly because I know it's worse than the desktop but it's excellent otherwise.

3. LemmycautioN macrumors member

the MBP panels are not particularly good screens in my opinion. I'm not sure what comparing those kinds of images is going to tell you. The 84 is known for sometimes washing out images, not lacking brightness. The screen on your MBP doesn't look washed out, the colors just look different. Try finding an image that definitely is supposed to look a certain way and comparing the images there. Also, try blacking out your MBP and kicking up the brightness to check for backlight bleeding. If you don't have any bleeding hold onto it for dear life, MBP's without bleed are a small minority.

4. tivoboy macrumors 68030

laptop desktop

I think that ANY desktop screen is going to be supperior to a laptop screen, as they don't have to be optimized for low power consumption and are thinker and deeper which can give a bit of image depth.

5. Hydroxs macrumors regular

Isn't the imac screen IPS while the mac has a TN?

6. glxyjones thread starter macrumors regular

glxyjones

Thanks for the replies...

I guess the consensus is that comparing the two really isn't a smart idea. I'm not very picky when it comes to this usually and I'm sure that when I sell the iMac and just have the MBP, I won't even remember the picture quality. Much like when I went from the original iPhone to the 3G model I couldn't stand the "yellow tint" on the 3G, but since I sold the original, I don't even notice it anymore. My biggest concern was that my MBP had a faulty screen or one that was inferior to other MBP's.

I do plan on eventually buying the Cinema Display when I sell the iMac. This would have similar if not better display quality than the iMac, correct? Although now I'm afraid having both of them side by side would bother me, much like the MBP and the iMac side by side does....haha

7. BigD58 macrumors regular

Oh yeah the size of the LED display will have a very crisp color qulatiy and brigtness. Probly even better than the iMac in my opinion.

8. 7even macrumors 6502a

Correct, the ACD will have similar or better quality to the iMac. Use the ACD screen as your main monitor and toss unimportant stuff to the MBP screen :D

9. Timur macrumors 6502a

Timur

My 9c84 MBP has the same bad vertical viewing angles. It's not possible to find an angle that allows to see both dark color and light colors.

To see dark you need an angle from above, very close to the point where black begins to wash out. When you adjust the screen to see dark color at the upper region it will already wash out at the lower regions. When you set it to see dark colors at the lower regions without washing out black then dark color turn to black at the upper region.

To see light you need an angle from below else they will turn into pure white. Problem is that it's nearly impossible to set such an angle for the lower region of the screen without taking the whole MBP up and looking from nearly on axis of the keyboard. And you cannot see dark color anymore then (all black and at more extreme levels turning into a band of blue).

10. MVApple macrumors 6502a

Will your iMac has an IPS screen which is superior to the Macbook Pro's TN panel so no surprise there. The only current laptops with IPS screens are a few tablet pcs, maybe 3-4 models to choose from. The number 1 problem in preventing manufacturers from putting in IPS screens in laptops is the cost. Almost all IPS screens are currently being put into TV's and its not cost effective to put them in laptops right now because most consumers can't tell the difference. IPS screens are also thicker so unless they figure out how to make them thinner we may not see them in Apple's thin obssessed laptops.

The Macbook Pro has the nicest TN laptop screen I've ever seen and I'm really happy with it.