New Mbp vs new mb

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by orpheusmyth, Oct 14, 2008.

1. orpheusmyth macrumors member

Hi.

I'm thinking on buying a new Mbp or a Mb, but with the new specs I don't really know if I'm going to buy a high end Mb or the low end Mbpro. Does the separate graphic card is enough to spend $300 more?

2. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

after using a 13" screen for over a year i want to go back to a larger screen.

depends on what you are using it for.

3. California King macrumors 65816

I have a 13 Macbook and I must say, 13 inches is too small for me. Especially since I have it connected to a 24 inch external monitor most of the time. Once I can afford it, the new MBP will definitely be my next laptop purchase.

4. strikeinsilence macrumors 6502

If it's going to be your only computer, I'd suggest the 15". Screen size is well worth it. Graphics are a plus too.

5. rhaleuk macrumors member

Hhhhmmm, for me its a tougher call than ever!

The MacBooks offer better value than ever. But frankly the whole Apple laptop line is seeming expensive!

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Your big differences will be the larger screen and the discrete graphics. The discrete graphics is only really worth it if you do serious graphics intensive stuff like gaming, etc. Although for light gaming it sounds like the new MB will preform quite well. I personally prefer the larger screen/high resolution. Go the the apple store and check them out!:)

7. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

If I were looking into a new notebook, I'd get the mbp just because of the fw800.. its a shame that they took out the fw400 on the macbooks.. its so perfect.. yet 1 huge flaw.. at least they could add a fw800 to it.

I have a feeling apple did it on purpose to get professionals to buy the mbp instead of the mb due to fw800 peripherals.

8. seedd macrumors newbie

there is one thing i dont quite understand so far. The graphics on the mb, are they not as good as the old MBP both 256mb...(not a puterwizz but i can read specs^^).
    After seeing the specs on the high end MB, im now considering that one instead of the mbp. I do want to play some nice games when they come out like new NFS and C&C, but will i be able to with the high end MB or do i have to go for the MBP?
    Cheers guys!!

9. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

I did the mistake of taking the last MB when it came out with the x3100. They claimed blabla x faster and so on, but guess what, it is still integrated which makes it suck if you want to game. You can play older games or newer ones on low settings. I just ordered the MBP just because I might wanna run a game now and then.

If the discission is between the high end MB or the low end MBP, it's easy, take the MBP...

10. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Integrated graphics are going to be inferior to a dedicated card. The new MB still has integrated graphics, and it will preform worse than the last generation MBP discrete graphics card. That said, it will be a lot better than previous gen's intel integrated graphics. If you want to play new games at medium to high settings, go with the MBP.

11. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I'm pretty sure they are not. The 9400 is what nvidia calls a multimedia processor, from what I can gather. It certianly can't beat the 8600, no matter what, because it is still intergrated, so its jacking system mem in the first place which is a huge bottleneck and an all around nono.

The 8600 vs. the 9600 is where the heat is at. The 9400 is not comparable to anything in the x600+ range.

12. GCY macrumors regular

I currently have a first gen macbook and I desperately want to upgrade as well. Don't know if the MBP is really worth the money though. I might even consider the "old" MBP. Anyone know what the screen resolution is for the new MBP? Is it still the same as the old models?