Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Inkoosikas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2013
North Pole Alaska
So I recently had my house broken into and my MBP was taken, it was a late 2011 15" MBP with maxed out hardware for when it came out.

So now I am looking to replace it. The thing is, I like playing video games, I had my old MBP set up with bootcamp and would run games on there like a champ.

My question is, how do the new MBP graphics cards hold up agains the older MBPs that ran the duel graphics cards?

Thanks!

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
So I recently had my house broken into and my MBP was taken, it was a late 2011 15" MBP with maxed out hardware for when it came out.

So now I am looking to replace it. The thing is, I like playing video games, I had my old MBP set up with bootcamp and would run games on there like a champ.

My question is, how do the new MBP graphics cards hold up agains the older MBPs that ran the duel graphics cards?

Thanks!

The 15" rMBP with GT 750M is leaps and bounds better than that Radeon card.

I have a late-2013 15" rMBP with 750M and it plays BF4 quite well.

1680x1050, mix of high and ultra, 16xAF and FXAA and it churns out 47-50 fps on average, with the lowest being 35 fps and easily getting 60 fps in quite a number of situations.

That said, if you can wait until summer, the Broadwell ones will bring Maxwell, which will bring a large performance increase.

PS the Iris Pro is pathetic for games like BF4 and the likes of it.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

Thanks!

The dGPU in the latest set of MBPs is better, but the bad news is that the dGPU is only in the high end model. I don't think you want to try to play games with the iGPU, but that's just me.

vbedia

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2014
At this point I would wait. The current rMBP 15' with 750m runs games well, it may fall short for a hardcore gamer though.

I agree with what people have said here so far. I would like to add some a thing though.

Whatever solution Apple come up for the next rMBP it would be either cheaper than the current one (rMBP 15' with 750m) with roughly the same performance or more powerful with a price alike to the current one.

I would wait a few more months, it's gonna be almost year and a half since the last significant update. I think it will be worthy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.