Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mordo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
How would you compare the newly released Macbook Pro without Touch bar with the HP Spectre?

I currently have an old mid-2011 MBA13 that need a battery service, and I'm considering both for its replacement. As far as canadian prices goes, both are in the same price range (HP being a bit cheaper)

RoskO

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2008
It's a little weird that they are the same price up there. Here in the states the newest Kaby Lake Spectres are at least 200-400$ cheaper than the 13" with touch bar. The big difference being that the Mac uses a full dual core chip I believe, and the Spectre uses a ULV chip. In all of my testing I haven't noticed a lot of difference between the two chips, both dual cores with HT in the 13" models.

The newest 13" Spectres are very nice, about 2.8lbs I believe, it really depends on what you like more, and it could just come down to which OS you like more. Do you absolutely have to have macOS or Windows? I really like both Sierra and Windows 10, so for me personally it comes down to what I need more, I'm a MS developer currently so MS is the obvious choice, but I really like both, both are great and hold their own in just about every category.

Another consideration is that the Spectre can be used as a tablet and does very well doing so, the mac not so much. If you were looking for a system to be your one and only, laptop + ipad replacement, Spectre wins.

Edit: Sorry I misread the first time, I'd think the Spectre might outperform the mac a little if you go with the non-touch bar version, I believe the CPU is quite a bit lower clock speed. The SSD speed will be comparable in both, the newest Spectre has an NVMe SSD, quite fast.

Mordo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
While I said they both are in the same price range, I must admit that it's the HP Spectre i7 7th gen that is close to the base MBP w/o touch bar.

Thanks a lot for your input! I'll have investigate on the difference between the ULV chip and full dual core chip.
As far as OS goes, I'm quite familiar with both and it's not an issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.