New MBP, want to upgrade RAM

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Herdfan, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Herdfan macrumors 6502

About a week ago I got a new MBP 17". I wanted to upgrade the RAM, but let the sales guy talk me out of it. Well, my last day to return is this saturday. Would I be able to get the "upgrade" price if I took it in or would they try to make me pay full price?

I think I should be able to get the upgrade price as I could still return it and buy a new one with the memory I want.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Keep it and upgrade the RAM yourself. It's much cheaper.

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Do this. Check out OWC or Newegg.

4. Herdfan thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, so lets say I go with 3rd party memory. If I have an unrelated problem with the MBP, would I need to put the original memory back in before taking it in for service?

I'm new to the whole Mac thing. Thanks.

5. 100Teraflops, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011

100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

I swapped out the factory ram with some stuff from OWC. I will keep my factory ram, FYI. As you state, if I have a problem, then Apple cannot give me crap for using third party ram. If the problem is ram related or I suspect a ram issue, then I have my original ram to replace the OWC stuff and conduct tests. It's a win-win situation honestly. Hope this helps.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

First, it's ALL 3rd party RAM, since Apple doesn't make RAM. They put other manufacturer's RAM in their computers. Second, upgrading the RAM or hard drive yourself is not a violation of warranty, so there's no need to put the original RAM back before service. Hang onto the original RAM, in case you have a problem with the RAM you buy.
    They wouldn't, anyway. See above.

Apple Warranty: Installing Memory, Expansion Cards, User Installable Parts Does Not Void Warranty

From 2011 MacBook Pro User Guide:

7. ShiftClick, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011

ShiftClick macrumors regular

ShiftClick

One thing to be leery of is, yes keep your original ram and if you bring it in for Applecare, make sure to put the original ram back in laptop.

What often happens is the person servicing your laptop will restore it to original specs. So if you machine is a 4GB machine, they might take out your 8GB trash it and put in their 4GB so it matches the computer build. I've read many stories on these forums of people losing their expensive harddrive or ram and got back stock items.

8. 100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

Thank you for the reassurance. :D

9. 100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

I think I would be mad if they "trashed" my ram and/or hard drive. Hopefully, I do not have to find out.