New MBP! What should I get?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by paulold, Feb 24, 2011.

1. paulold macrumors 6502

I am thinking about buying one of the new MBPs that just came out since my current MPB is over 4 years old. I bought it in Sept of 2006 and it's still working fine, but the new machines are way faster. So I think I deserve an upgrade. : )

I need help deciding what to get.

Size
    I think I am going to go with the 15". My friend has a 17" and to me it looks too big. Plus I have a couple of laptop bags that are designed for 15". Am I crazy to not consider the 17"? It's $300 more...

Speed
    2.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 (Anything will be way faster than what I currently have so I see no need to pay extra for a little more speed.)

RAM
    4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB (I've upgraded the RAM in my current MBP before on my own so I'm sure I could do that again instead of paying Apple $200 more for 8 GB. But would 4 GB be sufficient? My most intensive stuff is working with music software/recording audio. I have the maximum RAM on my current machine, but I think its max was only 2 GB and I haven't been experiencing problems.)

Hard Drive
    750GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm (This is a problem for me. My MBP is my only computer so hard drive space is an issue since I have tons of media files and software instruments that take up a lot of space that I can't have on an external drive. I added a larger drive to my current machine but it's 500 GB and it's almost full. So going up to 750 GB will help some but probably not for long. But the 750 GB option is only 5400 rpm. Is that a problem? That's slower than the drive I currently have but this new machine is many times faster. I probably won't notice a difference, right? SSD is not a consideration here since the size I would need would cost a fortune probably. It feels wrong to choose a 5400 rpm drive but I need the space. Why don't they offer a 1 TB option?? Would it be easy to upgrade the hard drive to 1 TB myself in the future?)

Display
    MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display [Add $150.00] I should get the Hi-Res of course, right? I'm on the fence about the Antiglare. That's what I have now and I'm pretty sure it's what I prefer. Thoughts?

Extras
    I have all the software I need. The only other thing might be AppleCare and perhaps a cable or adapter.

So what do you think?

Thanks!

Paul

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Can you bold your questions to make it easier to find them? :)