New MBP - what to do with old iMac??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacMyBitchUp, Mar 27, 2009.

1. MacMyBitchUp macrumors newbie

Hi all - I'm awaiting delivery of a new MBP! (2.4ghz with 250gb HD at 7200)

I'm VERY excited about the new arrival, and now currently trying to decide what to do with my old iMac. It's a g5 model, 2.0ghz, and the optical drive no longer works and graphics card is screwed (giving me lines and distortion on the screen depending what I do - but in particular if using WMP). So I wouldn't get much for it on ebay.

So I thought I'd use it primarily as an iTunes / Spotify hi-fi - but has anyone got any other ideas about how I could use it?

I was thinking of using it to back up to via Time Machine but I'm running 10.4.11 and not buying Leopard for it. Is there any other way to back-up to it?

Alternatively is there an easy way to sync the two computers (i.e. totally sync them) over wifi?

Any thoughts or ideas appreciated!

2. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

The hi-fi idea isn't a bad one. I guess with the optical drive and the GPU done it is a little useless for most things.
    If you wouldn't mind parting with it you could sell on eBay for spares or 'requiring repairs'. Of course you wouldn't get much money from it, so it may not be worth the effort.

You could use it to broadcast a wireless network through Internet Sharing, unless you already have wireless, of course.

The only way to 'sync' them completely would be to upgrade the iMac to Leopard and use Migration Assistant to transfer the files to or from the new MacBook Pro. Presumably to, right? Migration Assistant is very easy to use and you'll find instructions everywhere.

3. MacMyBitchUp thread starter macrumors newbie

Wait - surely I don't need to have leopard on the old computer to use migration assistant?:eek:

4. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

the os has to be the same on both computers in order to use it.

5. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

Are you SURE? I don't believe that's true.

6. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i thought it was. whatever if its not then great for the OP. but if he wants to use Time Machine he he will need to have leopard.

7. MacMyBitchUp thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm. It would suck a LOT if the app that allows you to move from an OLD mac to a new one doesn't support the OLD OS!

Any other thoughts on alternative uses guys?

* dashes off for another order status check *

8. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

its not that you need to have the same OS when moving files from an old computer to a new one. i think that it is you need the same OS when mirroring a computer like you're talking about doing.