New MBP: Who makes the panels?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rickeames, Apr 15, 2010.

1. rickeames macrumors regular

From the marketing page:

wide-angle viewing and a color gamut usually seen only on a desktop display​

That would indicate quite a stepup from the previous generation panels, yet they aren't touting IPS in the MBP, so I'm confused. The wording sounds very "IPS-ish".

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

They have always said that or at least it has been used in the past. They said that about the October 2008 MBs (Alu) and those panels were trash, most of them.

IIRC Apple uses a variety of manufactures.

3. kolax macrumors G3

4. schmoe macrumors newbie

I'm finding the new 17" i7's screen has significantly worse color reproduction and black levels than my slightly-older 17" C2D 2.93GHz. Perhaps it's just a calibration issue though... My C2D has an LG screen and this one is a Samsung, but apparently the model numbers are the same as the previous generation.

Here's a screen shot of http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php, you'll have to forgive the poor photography and unscientific testing.

Core i7 on the left, C2D on the right.

Attached Files:

5. kolax macrumors G3

The LG panels have always been better.

I wish Apple would ditch Samsung..

6. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

maybe I'm blind, but it looks like the i7 bezel on the left is white? and therefore a antiglare??? or maybe it's just the lighting

7. schmoe macrumors newbie

They're both matte, AKA anti-glare.

8. Quetsche macrumors member

Could you see if this is indeed a calibration issue, or a screen quality issue?

This is pretty important for me and if the screens are as bad as in your screenshot i guess i'll have to choose between an older macbook pro or an external display. :(

9. schmoe macrumors newbie

Unfortunately I don't have a hardware calibrator and couldn't figure out the built-in one =) They're the same screen as the previous 17" though so perhaps someone has already report on that... if you find anything do share!

10. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I owned both previous 17" mbp and have the current i7, I find the i7 better in terms of screen quality. Because on the previous gen 17", I had to use a properly calibrated color profile for the display to look good, but right now on just the default "color profile" it looks very clean on the i7 17".

As for the LG displays, I prefer samsung as I always found the LG displays to look washed out.

Also my display is a 9CD0. What display do you have on your i7 17"?

I just did that testing on my i7 17" and the color looks similar to the 17" mbp on your right.

11. schmoe macrumors newbie

Display profile shows my Core i7's screen as a 9CD0 as well, ioreg says LTN170CT10.

My C2D has a 9CAD / LP171WU6-TLB1.

Its hard to quantify but the first thing I noticed was that my background image appeared more noticeably dithered on the i7. Neither one looks that great though, wish I had one of the PC laptops with IPS and/or RGB-LED to compare against.

12. klover macrumors 6502a

In terms of black levels, those pictures are very overexposed. I've never seen such "grey" blacks from any recent MBP panel.

13. WonkyPanda macrumors regular

WonkyPanda

my 15" 1440 screen says the model is 00009CA4
    Any other 15's wanna share there models?

14. man02195 macrumors regular

is that what terminal says when you enter
    ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

15. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

[​IMG]

I took it with my iphone but the colors of the squares looks different to me than your i7 17".

I know for a fact that even with the same exact model display from the same vendor can turn out differently. Because I remember one time I had a specific model Samsung screen that looked washed out, then I exchanged my mbp with a new one and it too had the exact same model Samsung display panel which looked so much more vibrant.

I think the i7 17" hi res antiglare screen looks very good but I'm still waiting for someone to properly calibrate it and hopefully sharing it with us. :D

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My 15" panel isn't stellar for sure, but it satisfactory for me.

17. Lyshen macrumors 6502

My 15" i7 is 9CA3, seems great, no dead pixels.

18. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

19. Psion macrumors newbie

Way cool! How to find display type

This command is the easiest way I have ever seen to find the display type. Is there a similar command to display the Harddisk type (Apple tries to hide these especially in SSD´s) Thank you so much

20. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

LG makes cheap products....I would rather have samsung anyday over LG

21. nimski62 macrumors regular

Yes, except for it's a proven fact that the damn samsung screens are slightly dimmer, have noticeably worse color reproduction and yellow whites. There is a reason for people saying the LG panels used in the 15" mbps are superior... they've seen it, I've seen it.

That said, my new AG High-res suposedly has a Samsung panel and luckily they must have cleaned their act up a little bit as this panel is pretty awesome. Anandtech seems to think so also.. whites are white, very bright, crispy.

22. Blizzardman macrumors regular

My 15 inch i7 HR Glossy is:
    LTN154MT07
    and model from Color Profile is 00009CB6

I have noticed some of the yellow ting on the bottom 1/3 of my screen. Anyone else with my screen model notice it? Is mine samsung?

23. unamused macrumors 6502

does anyone know the color gamut the 15" MBP can display?

Also, im assuming its not an IPS panel since its not advertised anywhere?

24. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

http://tinyurl.com/35hyd7z

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3669/...o-more-battery-life-tests-display-evaluated/4

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3669/...o-more-battery-life-tests-display-evaluated/4