new mbp why is it using so much memory?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by arielled01, Jan 2, 2009.

1. arielled01 macrumors member

Hello. I just got a new Macbook Pro for Christmas. Its the 2.53 ghz, 4gb memory model. I downloaded the iStat Nano widget but Im not really sure if its 100% accurate. Anyway, my question is that it shows that I'm using half of my MBP's memory but right now I only have two programs open: Firefox and Vuze is currently downloading a large file so maybe that is the problem? Im not really sure, I just dont see why only having two programs open would be causing such a memory drain.

The file that is downloading via Vuze is 736 MB so I guess that is a logical explanation but I dont really know for sure.

Thanks for any feedback you guys can give me!

2. SmartIndianKid macrumors regular

SmartIndianKid

As far as I recall, Azureus/Vuze is a Java application, and has a large memory footprint. Try quitting Vuze, and you should see a marked improvement.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. arielled01 thread starter macrumors member

5. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

Actually, modern OS's use RAM like you wouldn't believe. As the above poster mentioned, it's the page ins and outs that you should worry about.

You can find that data in activity monitor. Page ins and outs are when the memory is full and the OS has to move stuff that would otherwise be in RAM, to and from the hard drive. The hard drive is much slower than RAM, and this is when you see slow downs and you should consider buying more RAM.

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It's Vuze. That application leaks memory like it's going out of style. I suggest trying a lighter torrent client such as Transmission.