New MBP Wifi problems.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Patrick32, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Patrick32 macrumors newbie

Its running Lion, it works good for while then every couple of hours it says wifi searching for networks, and keeps doing so, all pages don't load or show really slow loading.

Ive restarted it a few times and seemed to work ok.

Whats this bug? 4 other windows laptops work perfect in the same house so its not the wifi,also the problems with MBP also happens when Im directly beside the router swell as far from it.

Anyone else similar problems or any fix for this?

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

As is the answer to all WiFi complaints, start by trying another location, like your local coffee shop. If it works there, then it's something wrong with your network. If it doesn't it's something wrong with your computer.

3. Patrick32 thread starter macrumors newbie

It happened in all 6 different locations tested.

So any one have an idea?

4. babyt, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011

babyt macrumors regular

babyt

5. Detrius macrumors 68000

This doesn't mean it's not a bad Airport card. At this point, we've only narrowed it down to the machine; don't jump the gun and call it a known-bug, since it could still be something else, especially considering that the OP never said the specific version of the OS being used.

So, to the OP: what version of Mac OS X Lion are you running? Do you have a tester drive with a clean known-good copy of OS X you can use?

6. babyt macrumors regular

babyt

I suppose I worded my first post wrong. I meant to say that there is a known issue out there, and that could possibly be the problem. Not that it IS the problem. Sorry

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I couldn't resist :D

8. Patrick32 thread starter macrumors newbie

This is the only mac i have access too.

Bought it from Apple 3weeks ago, version is : 10.7.2

9. praetorx macrumors regular

I had a similar problem with my old 2010 Core i7 MBP. Fixed it by changing the WiFi frequency channel on my wireless router from auto (channel 6) to channel 11.

10. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Color it any way you want, a brief search will show that this is a known issue with Lion.

It happened on mine, then I updated the OS to 10.7.1 then it stopped, then it started happening again, then it stopped.

My desktop is connected to my network via WiFi and it works flawlessly. My old MBP running Snow Leopard also worked flawlessly with the same network settings.

If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck and smells like a duck ... It's most likely a duck.

11. Patrick32 thread starter macrumors newbie

Im new to mac and I have seen this pop up tbf like, I like mac but their seems to be some weird attitude that when anyone raises a mac issue they go on the defensive, and what not so much support.

Theres much better community support on windows forums.

(Befroe anyone pipes in to get get a windows laptop, don't bother, I like apple, just community of apple seems to be very defensive and not so much supportive) overall.

Some people have been great but a lot of threads seem like angry people who's life purpose is to defend mac.

No 1s perfrect, bugs will be in EVERYTHING.
    Or maybe its just this forum?

Anyway thanks for the info on the wifi issue, il just blame my own net that works on all other laptops and blame all other wifi spots, it must be me obviously!!

Poor. Disappointed to say the least, have a good day and enjoy on here.

Im sure its a great forum but to meet a question with such defensiveness is more than Id like.

Thank you Adamantoise for your post, good day and goodbye MacRumours.

12. Detrius macrumors 68000

I'm not trying to be defensive, claiming there are no bugs. I'm saying that this is also one of the ways that airport cards go bad. Saying that the OP is experiencing the bug without verifying is disingenuous. It could be either. Also, coincidences do happen, so you need more evidence on either side than one event (eg "It started happening when I updated" gives you somewhere to look, but it's not proof).

Also, saying "it's your network" doesn't necessarily mean "your network is bad". I've had difficulty getting Airport Expresses to join WEP networks. It's a network-specific issue. The problem is WEP, and the solution is to use WPA/WPA2 instead. Sure, you can blame the Airport Express, but when it comes down to it, fixing the issue is done on the network side.