New MBP Wireless Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacAlpha, Nov 14, 2008.

1. MacAlpha macrumors regular

I recently purchased a late 2008 :apple: MBP after being a life long Windows user. The computer is great (compared to the Dells that I own). Despite all of the complaining that goes on on this board about the new models, I have not had any problems with mine-:eek:-perfect case, keyboard lines up, no fan or display issues.

I do have one question though. When I click on the "Airport Icon" (or what ever it is called) on the status bar at the to, it almost always says "Airport: Scanning..." with the little icon spinning. However, I have not noticed any perceptable drop in internet performance. Is this normal? Is there something I should change settings wise to make it stop? I note that it happens at home (where my WiFi is a Time Capsule), even if I am in the same room and at work where the WiFi is 5 floors above me (and I think is a Linksys).

Thanks!

2. kolax macrumors G3

It only scans when you click it, and it is scanning for other wireless networks and then lists them in case you want to see if another hotspot is available.

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Normal.

The Airport is checking for a better/stronger/reliable signal, but isn't changing because it's smart enough to know that yours is the preferred network and/or best available. Don't worry about this.

You can tell it to forget all others in the area, and it will still scan from time to time.

4. MacAlpha thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.

And a plug for this site. A great source of information for a newbie like me :p

5. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

We'll make a MacBeta out of you and perhaps one day, a MacRC ;)