New MBP with 10.5 or wait till 10.6?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MarkSTi04, Jan 8, 2009.

  1. MarkSTi04 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2008
    Location:
    Illinois Side of St. Louis, MO
    #1
    I'm looking at getting a new MBP and was waiting till this week to decide when I will get one because I know Snow Leopard should be out soon, and was hoping Phil would have said something about it in his Keynote so I could make a better informed decision. All I know now is that it looks like it will be summer before it's released. And if that's the case would it be worth the wait just for the new OS it's self or should I just buy the MBP now and upgrade the OS later?

    Any help would be great.

    Thanks
     
  2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #2
    If you consider six months from now to be soon, wait.

    If not, buy now.
     
  3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2007
    #3
    Are you going to forgoe more than 129 dollars worth of opportunity from now until the time snow leopard comes out (which can be any length of time, really)?

    If yes, buy now.

    If not, wait.
     
  4. AndyCro macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2007
    #4
    Im still on 10.4 myself

    i might get the complete 09 package though if im going to upgrade to leopard
     
  5. allanibanez macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2008
    #5
    if you need a mac now, get one now. if you don't, get one later. just don't sit on the fence forever as there is always an update around the corner and machines will always become outdated within a year or two.

    Welcome to the world of technology.
     
  6. SmokyD macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2007
    #6
    If it's not urgent it would be wise to wait, I think. By September we should hopefully have a quad-core mbp with 10.6. The 8GB memory upgrade could be much cheaper and a 512GB ssd could be available. The quad-core and 10.6 are major changes and are worth waiting for. After that, changes will be incremental for a while, so waiting won't be so fruitful.

    If you can wait, I'd bet on September as being the best time to buy. That is, if you are looking for a really powerful machine. If not, buy when you feel like it. All laptops these days are more than enough for basic tasks.
     
  7. derek1984 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2008
    #7


    I agree with you as I am in the same boat waiting for these things but I wouldn't expect Nehalem Processors to be in Macbook Pro's until Winter of '09 or even early 2010.
     
  8. detz macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2007
    #8
    You're dreaming. :p
     
  9. SmokyD macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2007
    #9
    One can dream, no?:p

    Yeah, maybe it'll be next year, but you never know. 10.6 is a good bet for this year, since Jobs already said in Oct 2007 that they want to keep OS cycles around 18 months.

    Quad core? The tech is available and I would be surprised if Apple waits too long to put it in the iMac and mbp. But you never know with Apple...
     
  10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #10
    *coughBlu-raywhenthey'reontheBlu-rayboard,evencough*

    Also, CD burning.
     
  11. NATO macrumors 68000

    NATO

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2005
    Location:
    Northern Ireland
    #11
    I wouldn't bother holding off a hardware purchase for the sake of Snow Leopard, awesome as it may be. I'd rather have the hardware NOW :D
     
  12. MarkSTi04 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2008
    Location:
    Illinois Side of St. Louis, MO
    #12
    I forgot to mention that this will serve dual purpose to replace my old Acer laptop in which the hard drive failed and I lost all the data on it, and it will also replace my tower that's way out dated and I will move the data I need from it to the Mac when I get it. From where I sit now not haveing a laptop at all, I will most likely get a MBP sooner than later. Now that the updated 17" is out and it offers 8gigs of ram to upgrade to and it also has the new optional 2.93 Intel Processor in it, I really have to think about if I should stay with the 15" one I have been looking at or jump to the 17" it's a tough choice....
     
  13. MarkSTi04 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2008
    Location:
    Illinois Side of St. Louis, MO
    #13
    BTW the Acer laptop only served me a year and eight months before the hard drive failed. That still annoys me to this day.:rolleyes:
     
  14. detz macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2007
    #14
    I'm going to purchase now and just upgrade...to mean it's worth just having the new computer now and Leopard is pretty solid anyway. I might not even upgrade right way it depends on what's released if I feel it will help me out much.
     
  15. joepunk macrumors 68030

    joepunk

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2004
    Location:
    a profane existence
    #15
    Right now Apple has this on their refurbished section:

    Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

    15.4-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
    2GB memory
    250GB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    $1,699.00

    (it's the lowend of the latest MBP)

    I'm quite tempted.
     
  16. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

    PBG4 Dude

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2007
    #16
    I saw that earlier today too. Hard not to pull the trigger on that deal.
     
  17. MarkSTi04 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2008
    Location:
    Illinois Side of St. Louis, MO
    #17
    That's not bad. Macmall.com has about the same deal for the new MBP optioned like that. If the local Apple Store has the new 17" MBP on display I will go take a look at it just to check it out. I'm in the St. Louis, MO area and hope that the bigger Apple Store has atleast one to play with. I'm calling them right before I leave work.
     
  18. MarkSTi04 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2008
    Location:
    Illinois Side of St. Louis, MO
    #18
    Never mind about the Apple Store comment I made above. I called them and they said they didn't have any of the new 17" on display. Does anyone know how many Apple had at MacWorld?
     
  19. ryanvsrobots macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2008
    #19
    that was gone REAL quick. i was about to buy when i refreshed it was gone.
     

Share This Page