New MBP with LCD Issues? (Pics Inside)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cmm26red, Feb 28, 2008.

1. cmm26red macrumors regular

What’s Up Fellas,

I bought a new MBP through my school and have been noticing some issues with the screen. I have included 4 pics for you guys to take a look and let me know what you think. The first issue seems to be bleeding which is most clearly visible on the 4th image. I am not to concerned about the color seeping through on the bottom as much as those two band towards the top right hand side of the screen. On white screens, those areas appear to have a yellowish tint to them. My second issue is the general unevenness wrt to color gradient on the LCD. Pic 3 best shows this. It looks splotchy in my opinion and it is what I am most concerned about. And my last issue is I have 4, that I have found so far, spots on the panel when viewing solid images. Each is about 4x4 – 5x5 pixels and on white images they look noticeably grey (the spots). I tried cleaning the display with the cleaning cloth but it did not make a difference. Am I just overreacting or is this legit? Thanks for any comments and suggestions.

cmm26red

Attached Files:

2. TheBigApple2006 macrumors regular

Is this the new Penryn MBP? If so, get hold of the LCD monitor number from the System Preferences -> Display option. It's been documented elsewhere how to get hold of this...

3. cmm26red thread starter macrumors regular

Negative, this is a new 2.4 15" SR that I picked up from my school on Friday. I took it back to my school today for them to see and they did not question it, however, they told me I would have to call Apple. I am just wondering if this is normal or is my notebook jacked up. I will get a panel number in a sec!

4. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

God you almost set this place to defcon 0 making people think the penryn's have the same problem, but yes, the SR MBP's have had this yellowing issues. Its not normal, the SR MBP's were never intended to have these yellowing issues but one of the panels Apple uses has this bad issue, it is indeed a defect but it is actually kind of common with the SR MBP's.

For the record, i have a Penryn 2.5 and my screen is perfect, no dead pixels and i cant notice any yellowing whatsoever.

5. cmm26red thread starter macrumors regular

So what should I do? Do I have any recourse with Applecare? Are my concerns legit? Will Apple replace my screen?

p.s. I checked under display in system preferences and it says Manufacturer Name and Number, but both are blank.

6. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

I cant tell ya man, i didnt have a SR MBP, only a Penryn, My advice is take it to a apple store and just see what they tell ya, good luck man.

7. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

I had a similar problem with my SR MBP. I took it to the apple store, showed it to the geniuses and they offered me either an exchange or a full refund. I took the refund as this was my second SR MBP with screen issues (my first had a dead pixel which is the most annoying thing ever - but which I was also able to get a refund on).

8. cmm26red thread starter macrumors regular

I am on the phone with Apple right now!

9. DocSmitty macrumors regular

I don't see any problem with the photos posted. Maybe it's because the photos look *very* grainy, but I'm just not seeing anything I wouldn't expect to see on an lcd monitor - slight changes in brightness based on where the camera lens is relative to the screen. Maybe you can take some close up or higher res shots? I'm certainly not seeing something that would make me think of returning a product..

10. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

Haha.

Defcon 0.

They create a new, highest level of Defcon, solely for the chaos of Apple User's Uproar.

11. cmm26red thread starter macrumors regular

So I contacted Apple, told them what was up, and they declared my unit DOA. So I am about to take it back and either get a 2.4 or 2.5 Penryn MBP; have not decided. I am a little confused as to why one member said it looks normal. Granted, the images are from my 5mp cypershot, but the gradient issues and the bleed through are clearly evident on the bottom two images. Hopefully my new MBP will not have the same issue. For the reference, this was a 2.4 SR w/ Matte.

12. astrosyt macrumors member

wtf????
    You think that you have backlight bleeding?
    You are paranoic man.
    this is backlight bleeds:

and you dont have yellow issue, screen is perfect you just will get worst display if you will replace it.

Attached Files:

13. pionata macrumors 6502

Every lcd screens I have (TV, ACD 23" and Ibook) have some sort of light bleeding from the sides. I think your just lucky if you get one perfect.

14. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

i really don't see the problem from the pics you posted, but have you changed the default color profile? my default "factory" profile looks like crap, but found some on the net that look great. try that before sending it back.