New MBP with retail leopard 10.5.0 disk

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by milk242, Dec 4, 2008.

1. milk242 macrumors 6502a

I tried to reinstall leopard on my new unibody mbp and it wouldn't work. I started the install from within OSX and when it restarted it would just reach the gray screen and constantly restart. I don't know if its the disk or the drive.. but all I know is other disks work with the unibody and the leopard install disk works with my old MBP. I ended up just using the restore disks that the unibody came with.

Has anyone run into this problem? I only tried this once so I don't know if it was a fluke or chronic problem.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Why aren't you using the discs that came with your new MacBook Pro? Retail 10.5.0 doesn't have the right drivers.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

It's neither a fluke or a chronic problem. New Macs often need a minimum of the OS they came with to successfully start up, usually because of specific drivers... It's caught me out on a couple of occasions before when trying to boot G5 PowerMacs from Panther retail disks.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

You need newer, specific drivers for the newer hardware.

5. milk242 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the help.. learning something new everyday!

6. MKnight macrumors regular

MKnight

New unibody MacBook Pros ship with a a slightly updated build of 10.5.5 so you really do need to use your restore discs.

Try turning off your MacBook Pro then do the following:

1. Remove the battery
    2. Put it back in and start it up while holding down option + command + P + R

You will hear a loud *beep* when booting up and the system will reboot itself again. Hold down these keys for two cycles then try to use the restore discs to install the operating system and applications.

7. bilbo--baggins macrumors 6502a

I got concerned when my early 2008 Mac Pro kept doing a kernel panic when I tried using the Leopard discs. Eventually I realised my mistake.

I'm really disappointed that Apple doesn't do some sort of error capture - a nice message warning that the disc precedes the model of Mac would be much nicer way of handling the situation...

8. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Interesting - I wonder if Apple would consider a trade of my retail 10.5.0 discs for updated ones that work with my new MBP.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

There's actually a bad Mac check that the installer runs but it only applies to older models.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

But you already have the Restore DVDs.