New MBP with Yosemite

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Texas_Toast, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Texas_Toast macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

How big of a deal would it be to buy a "new" MBP with Yosemite on it?

I am trying to save on sales tax buying from B&H, but in the fine print it says it comes with 10.10 or 10.11 and the rep is telling me there is no way to guarantee that I won't get Yosemite.

I know I can upgrade for free, but upgrades have a way of not working as well as "factory" installs of the right OS.

Thoughts?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

It doesn't matter if you're saving some money.

Worst case scenario: install upgrade, hold CMD+R on startup, wipe through Disk Utility, reinstall OS X. Fresh copy of El Cap.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't agree with that statement, and if the Macs you are looking at are the same, the OS version would not matter at all to me. The way OS X "upgrades" the OS is to literally move over the old OS, then install the new OS in its place. The issues people have are almost always related to either this party hardware or software that is incompatible with the updated OS version.

As long as all your hardware and software is compatible with El Capitan, you will have no issues.

If you gear works with that same Mac from the factory with El Capitan it will work with Yosemite updated to El Capitan.

The only downside I can think of is Internet recovery would give you Yosemite instead of El Capitan, but who cares IMO.

4. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

I just called B&H and the 2nd rep I spoke to said that there is a chance if I bought from Apple directly that I could also end up with a "new" MBP with Yosemite on it?

Is this true?

I assumed that Apple would only ever ship out the latest OS.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I guess it is possible if they had really old stock sitting in a Apple Store somewhere on a slow moving model, but I would be very very surprised if you ordered from Apple if one showed up now with Yosemite almost a year into El Capitan. I think the B&H dude just really wants to sell your a computer.

6. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

I am buying a new MBP to improve my life and get out of this duct-tape hell I have been living in the last 2 months since my current MBP went berzerk.

I want plug and play.

That being said, what would you recommend I do?

Buy from Apple and get El Capitan but also end up paying sales tax and S&H?

Or buy from B&H and maybe get stuck with Yosemite, even though I save on sales tax and S&H?

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If it is the exact same year model and all, and the only thing holding you back is the Yosemite issue... I would not hesitate at all to go with the Yosemite model and save the $100+.

Maybe take a look at the Apple Refurbs too and see how they compare for price also.

http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro

8. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

Here is how I got to where I am...

I was going to buy from B&H but waited too long and the MBP I wanted was out of stock with a 7-14 business day wait. So I decided to break down and buy from Apple. Then today I went back to B&H's site and saw that the slightly faster 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7 (Broadwell) was in stock.

That is when a light went off in my head...

Instead of giving Uncle Sam an extra $200 in sales tax going through Apple for a 2.9 GHz processor, why not upgrade to the more expensive 3.1 GHz processor and get it through B&H.

Yes, I would go over my budget $200, but I need a laptop in the next week.

Might as well get more computer for an extra $200 versus just giving it away in sales tax, right?

So I was ready to pull the trigger on the link below when I say in the fine print "Mac OS X 10.10 or 10.11"

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1129105-REG/apple_z0qp_mf8417_13_3_macbook_pro_notebook.html

It sounds like other than having a recovery partition with Yosemite, I should have issues IF I get a new MBP from B&H with Yosemite on it, right?

I don't mind paying extra $$$ if it saves me time and aggrivation down the road...

Thoughts?

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I would not be concerned about having any issues over Yosemite and the update to El Capitan is easy.

B&H is a pretty busy outfit and I still would be surprised if they have that model in stock wit Yosemite almost a year in now. I bet they slapped that disclaimer on there last year when there were still Yosemite models in the pipeline and they just never removed it.