New MBP won't connect to ANY WiFi network.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrat93, Nov 7, 2011.

1. mrat93, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011

mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

I just had my MBP replaced by Apple yesterday with the new late 2011 15" model.

Everything was working fine at first, then when I tried logging into my friend's network, anytime I try to connect to any WiFi network, I get the "!" over the WiFi bars on the status bars and it says "Alert: No Internet Connection." I tried deleting all saved networks, rebooting, etc. I'll try my Windows partition in a sec and post results...

Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.

UPDATE: Same thing happens in my Windows partition. It actually does connect to the router, just not the internet. Now, here's where it gets weird... My IPHONE somehow, completely coincidentally, cannot connect to my room's Wifi either. I haven't tested my phone on other networks yet. Ethernet on my MBP and 3G on my iPhone work fine though. I tried resetting my iPhone's network settings, but only get the spinning wheel when I try to connect to my network.

2. thundersteele macrumors 68030

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

4. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

My roommate has the newest AirPort Extreme. All of his stuff connects fine. We did a full restore on it. All of his stuff and my iPad connects fine, but my iPhone and MBP do not. My iPhone is working on other wireless networks.

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

6. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

I restored it myself. Didn't use any strange settings. Didn't see anything about a MAC address filter.

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I use a Netgear WNDR-3700 and have two different network names for 2.4 / 5 GHz. Can you set a different SSID for the dual bands on the Extreme, then try connecting. Also which encryption are you using?

8. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

I honestly have no clue on how to set a different SSID, nor do I entirely know what that even means. I don't really know much about networking. Everything worked until a few hours ago. I am also having trouble connecting to nearby networks on my MacBook Pro, but they may just be out of range. Not positive.

We are using WPA2 Personal encryption.

9. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

10. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

I just checked "5GHz Network Name." Now i see two networks: RyanMike Network, and RyanMike Network 5GHz. Still unable to connect to both.

11. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

The 5GHz band can't get the range that the 2.4GHz can, are you far from the router? Can you change the wireless channel?

Have you hard reset your iPhone? Is it on iOS 5? Is the firmware in the APE up to date?

Has your MBP had all its OS updates? Have you run Diskutil and verified / repaired your partition?

12. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

I'm about 10 feet from the router. I can change the wireless channels for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Currently on channel 6 and 149, respectively.

I have hard reset the iPhone, as well as resetting the network settings. It is an iPhone 4S on iOS 5.0.

It has all of the current software/firmware updates. Will run Disk Utility now, though I doubt it'll make a difference as I'm having the same issue on my Windows partition.

Also, thank you so much for taking the time to help me out. Much appreciated. :)

13. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I love Apple products mostly for their excellent design and they way they generally get along with each other. I do get frustrated by the feeling they try to keep users away from the nitty gritty side (double edged sword)

It's difficult to say why your friend can connect and you can't, if it were me I'd make a Genius appointment and drag the MBP, iPhone & APE in to an Apple store and have them sort it out. As mentioned before it almost seems like MAC address filtering is turned on, or somehow the wrong passkey.

Good luck.

14. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

Update: This morning, I could connect to all WiFi networks on my iPhone, however, I cannot connect to any networks on my MBP on OS X or Windows. Think this may be a hardware issue?