New MBP won't start!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jaykkub, Oct 23, 2008.

1. jaykkub macrumors newbie

Just got the new MBP two days ago and haven't done much but install software and surf the web. Just tried booting it up right now and pushing the power button does nothing. Any suggestions before I bring this back to Apple for a replacement?

2. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

is it plugged in? if so and no start take it back. there have been a few doa's, but no real explanation as to why?

3. jaykkub thread starter macrumors newbie

4. bcaslis macrumors 68020

It's possible it's crashed. Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds to force it off. Then press the button normally to see if it turns on.

5. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

if it has crashed already you still need to take it back. that's crazy! it should still power up.

6. jaykkub thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, it's up and running again. I'm new to Macs so I didn't know the equivalent to ALT+CTRL+DEL (a friend just told me about it). However, after holding down the button for 10+ seconds it finally got out of a sleep mode or something, so hopefully it was just that. I'll keep monitoring the MBP to see if it has issues. Thanks all for the help!

7. Wireless Buddy macrumors regular

There is no CRTL + ALT + DEL on a Mac. The Activity Monitor is like Windows Task Manager (crtl alt del on XP and lower and an option on Vista) but there is no key combo to bring it up.

Command + AltOption + Escape is the closest thing, which is force quit.

8. jaykkub thread starter macrumors newbie

So here's another question. When I tell my MBP to go to 'Sleep' how do I get it to wake back up?

Hitting the power button, typing on the keyboard, moving on the trackpad, etc doesn't do anything. I figured 'Sleep' mode should kinda be like Hibernate on Windows.

9. Wireless Buddy macrumors regular

The Power button should wake it up. There's something wrong with your computer.