new mbp

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by utsavtalwar, Apr 17, 2007.

1. utsavtalwar macrumors member

hey guys
    just bought a new mbp..

was really hoping for help ..

-the wmp 9 does it suck (no media library and stuff) or am i using it wrong

-is using bootcamp safe w/vista i mean hows the performance

-im getting 3.30 hours battery w/ bluetooth on using mighty mouse is it ok coz apple says 5.5

-finAly is it okay to run my laptop always on the charger..

hope you'll answer my queries like always

thanks a pile all
    cheers

2. pianos101 macrumors regular

3.5 hours?? ahhh the good old days.... But i always keep my MBP plugged in when i'm near an outlet to cycle the battery less (more cycles = more of its life has gone by). I use XP with Bootcamp and it works pretty much fabulously; much better than my experience with Parallels I would say. With vista i don't know though...

ENJOY your new MBP!!

3. Benjamin Black macrumors member

i don't think WMP 9 is optimized for the intel chip in your mbp. so yeah, it will be slow. try VLC or FlipforMac instead (i use vlc).

3.5 hours of battery life is pretty accurate, unfortunately. i really wish they were more honest with this info, but i've never gotten more than that out of mine.

i hardly ever unplug my mbp for this very reason. maybe once a month or so, let your battery drain all the way down until it puts itself to sleep. then hold down the power button until you hear it turn-off, and fully recharge before powering back on. this will recalibrate your battery and give you a good idea of how strong your battery life is at the moment.

cheers.

4. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Why on earth are you using WMP in OS X? Yes, it sucks. If you want something with a real music library, use iTunes. VLC will play music too though, and is a must-have for video playback.

Safe? Yes. Performance? Wonderful. Does it make Vista suck any less? No,

Screen brightness, keyboard backlight, wifi use, hard drive access, etc all have great effect on battery life.

Yes. The Apple chargers automatically switch into a trickle mode once the battery is charged so the battery is not overcharged.