New MBP13 or MB12 for VM Win10 and VS Development?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by questionwonder, Jun 5, 2017.

1. questionwonder macrumors member

I withheld from buying a Macbook because it only had 8GB Ram and a slightly underpowered CPU for running a Win10 VM and Visual Studio Pro, but now that I can get Kaby Lake and 16GB (I currently run a Win10 VM ware VM with Visual Studio on a 8GB Ram mid 2013 MBA 2.0Ghz) I'm wondering if the new MB with the upgraded Kaby Lake CPU will be fast enough for my use and won't be too slow while developing in the VM using VS. Can I get away with the new MB or should I get the MBP? I like the portability of the MB and no fan (silent) but if it is still a little underpowered for my use I'll just get the ntbMBP

Which one would you get for VS development in a Win10 VM?
    ntbMBP 13 with 16GB Ram, 2.3 Ghz, 256 Gb SSD -> $1700
    MB 12 with 16GB Ram, 1.4 Ghz, 256 Gb SSD -> $1750

My use -
    VM Ware VM running Win 10
    Visual Studio Pro (latest edition)
    Chrome (web browsing with multiple windows open and testing my websites)

2. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

At least with the last MB, it was way, way, way too slow for me using VMWare Fusion to run 8.1 (even with visual effects stripped). I cannot imagine Kaby Lake makes that big of gains to compensate for the power gap between the flagship MB and base MBP. If you are running Fusion-Win10, VS Pro, and Chrome simultaneously, I think you are going to get frustrated. When I took a MB for a trial, just having a tons of Chrome tabs open was enough to bog the machine down!!! Where as a MBP of any tier will be a step up from your MBA, I think the MB would probably not be and might even be a step backwards in terms of processing power.

The 2016 base nTB with only 8GB RAM runs Win 10 VMs like a champ.