New MBPR 15 1TB Running Lightroom?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mattmikulla, Jun 16, 2015.

1. mattmikulla macrumors newbie

So I currently have a MBPR Mid 2012 that I am thinking about replacing for several reasons.

Mainly GPU and CPU performance and the 1TB SSD.

What I'm wondering is if I can run my Lightroom Catalog and files of the SSD efficiently.

Yes, I understand that 1TB isn't a lot of space with apps and other files on my machine but I'd be willing to purge as much as possible to have the convenience of editing photos without an external USB 3 drive attached.

Anyone see any problems with my logic or any angles I am missing?

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I'm not entirely sure of what you're asking but ...

Lightroom will run fine in terms of hardware. Is it that you think 1TB of space won't be enough for you internally? Only you can answer that ...

3. mattmikulla thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I'm asking if this is a good lightroom management strategy and if others have an opposing view or insight to offer.

I imaging the CPU and GPU performance will significantly improve speed combined with the image files on the SSD and not a USB 3 drive.

Yes 1TB of space is a little tight but that's what we have to work with right now. I can't wait till we have 2TB.

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

What was the strategy? Your original post only talks about having a 1TB internal drive. I wouldn't call internal vs external a strategy, its more of a preference.

So you're asking if it is okay to primarily have Lightroom related files on your internal? Sure ...

Not making fun, just truly lost but trying to help.

5. newellj macrumors 603

Seconding this (as a LR user from before v1 with >1TB of photo files). It will run just GREAT if it will all fit on the OS disk, but "fit" is the question. We don't know how big your library is...if it will fit, sure, do it, there are no downsides. The only risk is that at some point in the future you'll need to migrate the library off onto an external disk, but (if you do it correctly) that's actually a very painless process.

There are also multi-library strategies that you could use, but IMHO they can be more bother than they're worth and honestly if you're asking the question here you probably don't want to try doing that.

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

If you upgrade to Lightroom 6, you should see a significant performance improvement on your current rMBP. LR6 brought a lot of changes.

If you store externally and want to access them fast, you should consider using an external SSD or an RAID array.