New MBPr iPhone Charge Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CKemahli, Jun 1, 2015.

1. CKemahli macrumors newbie

CKemahli

Hi All,

Just bought 15 inch MBPr and when I plug iPhone in the phone beeps to say charging then immediately disconnects then reconnects and then disconnects. As if the cable is being removed and reinserted.

Tried with different lightning cables, using different USB on the MBPr. With screen down and with it open.

Do we think this is a power fault within the machine and time for a warranty??

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Could be a fault with the iPhone. Try charging the iPhone on another Mac and/or usb port and/or try charging another iPhone on your mac, swap cables as required, a process of elimination will get to it...

3. dextr3k macrumors 6502

I have a 13" rMBP and one of my new cables does this, on both USB slots. I am pretty sure it is the cable.

I have just resorted to using another cable.

4. CKemahli thread starter macrumors newbie

CKemahli

Definitely not iPhone, charges like normal from wall and girlfriends laptop using exact same cable. Using variety of cables I can achieve the same problem with the 15 inch.

Process of elimination leads me to believe fault lies with machine. Hopefully others will have this issue so I can come at apple with some weight behind me.

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

You won't need "weight", their diagnostics will show the fault, you only need to know which device to take in...

6. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

I had this same issue and it only happened on one of the USB ports. I ended up hard resetting my phone and using a different lightning cable and it worked fine.

7. CKemahli thread starter macrumors newbie

CKemahli

Ok thanks guys! Got the warranty so if things don't change after a hard reset I'll head back in.

My comment about weight stems from many hours wasted trying to explain that my 2011 MBP had a logic board fault, which they blamed on me, I blamed on the laptop etc.... until finally Apple announced the replacement service, 4 years late!! Took a lot of weight before Apple accepted the faults.

Anyway got my £300 back, which ended up going towards my new Retina in any case!!