New MBPro, looked up serial number, help with info please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NickM, Feb 28, 2009.

1. NickM macrumors 6502

So I got my new and first MacBook Pro in today.
    I looked up the serial number on some webpage, that appeared to be Dutch, and it gave me this information on my laptop:

Serial number: *********** (cleaned up from '***********')
    Name: MacBook Pro (Late 2008)
    Model: Mxxxx MacBook Pro 2.53GHz
    Screen size: 15 inch
    Memory - number of slots: 2
    Factory: W8 (Shanghai China)
    Model introduced: 2008
    Production year: 2009
    Production week: 03 (January)
    Production number: 3132 (within this week)

My questions are:

1) Why does it say "Late 2008" when it appears to have been made on January 03, 2009 ?

2) Should I expect any of the problems I've read about? (screen flickers, black screens, etc.)

Thanks

2. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

1. That is the name that Apple uses when referring to that particular revision of MBP.

2. Just enjoy your machine. The majority of people never have a problem.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That model was introduced in Late 2008. When your particular one was manufactured has no bearing on the introduction date.
    Ya never know! Some have problems, most don't.

4. AR15MBP macrumors regular

1. This is the model name that Apple has coined for this model of Macbook Pro.

2. Why should you expect it? Enjoy your laptop and if a problem arises, address it at that point.

EDIT: Leave your reply for a minute and look what happens!

5. NickM thread starter macrumors 6502

As if I didn't already plan to enjoy the hell out of this thing. I sure didn't spend all that money to get no enjoyment in return.

I asked about the problems because I thought that many people were reported model-specific problems. I thought I remember "late 2008" models were all having some similar problem... or maybe it was "late 2008" models made after a certain date...

6. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

Nope. People come here when they have a problem so it has a tendency to make some issues look more widespread than they really are. I have a late '08 MBP and it is perfect. If you were to look around here for a few minutes it would appear that all the new 17" MBPs have graphics card problems and dim displays. I have one and I have neither issue.