NEW MBPro, What happened with the yellow tint issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zoran, Oct 17, 2008.

?

is the yellow tint issue still there?

Poll closed Oct 17, 2009.
  1. yes

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. no

9 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. zoran macrumors 68020

Does it still exist in the new MBPros LED displays?

2. rekhyt macrumors 65816

3. ascender macrumors 68000

I've had Macbooks in the past, so if you can point me in the direction of a thread which shows exactly what this issue is and how to check for it, I can check just now for you.

4. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

check this for starters and let us know
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=349090

5. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I gave up on the last 15" MBP because of yellow screens (tried 4 and they all had it) and got the 17" hi-res. Just got one of the new MBP 15" 2.53GHz and it's fine, no yellowing or bad gradients like before. All the ones in the Apple Store all looked fine to me also.

6. twynne macrumors 6502a

FWIW, I also have the MBA and comparing this side by side with the new MBP, the MBA is MUCH more yellow. The MBP looks almost blue in comparison - very cool 'temperature'. I never really thought of the MBA as yellowish, but I much prefer the new MBP. :D

7. strikeinsilence macrumors 6502

Are you sure it's not just how the displays are calibrated? Notebooks aren't like iPhones, they're adjustable. The yellow tint issue is a gradient, meaning it's yellow in one part, normal in another. If your whole screen is yellowish or blueish that's easily corrected by calibrating.

8. WilliamG macrumors 604

The new MBP is very much less yellow. There is zero difference from top to bottom on my new MBP, that's for sure.

Check out my comparison shots:

New MBP October 2008:
    [​IMG]

Early 2008 model:
    [​IMG]

Side by side:
    [​IMG]

9. strikeinsilence macrumors 6502

Wow, great comparison, WilliamG. The new screen makes the old one look like *****! That kinda makes me bummed about the gloss and the fact that the new one won't work for me.

10. WilliamG macrumors 604

11. strikeinsilence macrumors 6502

Great write up! I've had multiple MBPs since they were introduced and have never been completely happy with the displays. This one looks great though.

12. ptjh macrumors regular

Do you get any of the LED bleed issues when watching DVD's ect? It's more noticable when the screen is black (obviously) but someone on here posted a photo where it looked pretty bad with bright vertical strips of light coming from the bottom of the screen to about 1/3 of the way up. :eek: