New MBP's coming in April!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kdoug, Feb 29, 2012.

  1. kdoug thread starter macrumors 6502a

    kdoug

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2010
    Location:
    Iowa City, IA USA
    #3
  2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

    heisenberg123

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2010
    Location:
    Hamilton, Ontario
    #4
    :D

    it did get burried pretty fast with about 5 newer articles, i often am guilty of only reading the first couple of headlines
     
  3. Tritons macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2011
    #5
    Do you guys belive it might happen? I mean it would be awesome.
     
  4. Blues003 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2010
    #6
    A week and a half ago, DigiTimes reported the MBPs would be delayed till June.

    A bit afterwards, only the dual-core chips from Intel were delayed.

    Some days ago, the same news came out again, without it being clear if it was actually news or just the same piece recycled.

    And now, this.


    Personally, I've lost faith in any MBP-related news that comes in the near future. Not only has DigiTimes less-than-stellar credibility, but different websites report different things and there's not much agreement overall.

    Until we're at least in late-March, I'll dismiss most MBP-related news as an attempt to get website traffic and/or advertisement.
     
  5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2011
    Location:
    Switzerland
    #7
    rumors on a rumor page... hardly a surprise :)

    Now, if we believe this and also some of the other rumors (in particular the financial times interview seems credible), then there are a few interesting possibilities:

    a) the quad core Ivys are not delayed
    b) the first generation of redesigned MBP will ship with sandy bridge CPUs
    c) Apple gets Ivy before everyone else (and might be paying a premium for this)

    b) is indeed a possibility, since SB and Ivy are based on the same architecture, and the design TDPs are the same, so Apple can later upgrade to the new CPUs without having to do a lot of internal redesign. However, I'm not sure this works out that well for the 13'' MBP and a possible quad core update.

    a) and/or c) together could be due to Intel holding back Ivy CPUs to sell off Sandy Bridge CPUs. Apple could afford to pay extra for the new CPUs, which they can afford due to the higher sales price of the MBP.

    Or, it's just another wrong rumor :)
     
  6. Suno macrumors 6502

    Suno

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2011
    #8
    Assuming this is true, does anybody have any idea as to whether or not Apple would release an official announcement prior to launch?

    If the rumors are correct and the Pro is really merging with the Air, then I feel like it is in my best interest to purchase the current MBP before the new launch because those things are going to be worthless. Seriously, it's just a beefed up, glorified Macbook air....
     
  7. simsaladimbamba

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Location:
    located
    #9
    They would announce it on the day of the launch, not before. Either via a press conference/keynote, if a new design is introduced, or via a simple update of the Apple website, just like all the times before.
     
  8. mac jones macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2006
    #10
    I certainly would hold off on a purchase of a 13 or 15 inch for a month.

    We may get a barrage of rumors that is a good indicator of an impending release (as is happening now).

    The reason I say hold off (I don't usually), is that to my eyes this present iteration looks a bit long in the tooth.

    I know i'm going to wait this time.

    But my 17 is fine. As it's larger, it already looks thin.
     
  9. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

    LostSoul80

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2009
    #11
    I'd expect responses from march 7th regarding Ivy Bridge at least.
    Also I'd exclude the possibility of another event before june. So we'll either see the new designed MBPro's in the next week event, or presumably Apple will unveil them in a discreet manner.
     
  10. kdoug thread starter macrumors 6502a

    kdoug

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2010
    Location:
    Iowa City, IA USA
    #12
    Amen! I almost pulled the trigger on a new MBP 15" this morning. I just can't bare the thought of spending $2,000 for USB 2.0, mid range resolution, no HDMI and ridiculous SSD options. Hell, I've given up all hope of ever having Blue-ray since optical discs are becoming obsolete.
     
  11. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

    cubbie5150

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2007
  12. thundersteele macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2011
    Location:
    Switzerland
    #14
    Why would anyone who cares about this buy now? Just wait until april, and then

    a) either the new model sucks, in which case you can buy one of the 2011 models at a few hundred $ discount, or
    b) the new models are great, in which case you buy a new model

    Of course if you need one now, or don't care about an update, it is fine to buy now. But there is no reason to rush out now to get one of the old models... they will still be available!
     
  13. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2011
    #15
    I'll be waiting. Hopefully the displays will be improved; the LED MBAs are painful for a lot of people, including me. The MBPs are somewhat better.
     

Share This Page