New MBPs hitting refurb?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TorontoLRT, Apr 10, 2011.

1. TorontoLRT macrumors 6502

Any idea when this might happen? I've been laptopless for a month and finals are coming up, so I'm getting a bit antsy...

2. simsaladimbamba

Three to four months after they have been released.

3. mackage macrumors 6502

Wouldn't you save just as much by buying a new one and using your education discount?

4. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

If finals are coming up I assume you are in school. If you need it that bad just use your student discount and get one.

EDIT: Reiterating what mackage is saying :D

5. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    HE discounts rule....
    ps how much will a refurb save you?

if you are on a serious budget, how about a 2010 refurb model?

6. TorontoLRT thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm in high school, so I don't get the student discount. One of my close relatives is a university professor, though, so I might get it that way.

7. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

I have handed back 2 defective 2011 models so expect them appearing soon ;)

8. tsmacman macrumors member

the education discount includes high school and college students

9. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Education discounts are for any age student or teacher...

However AFAIK, they only do the discounts during the back to school promo... I just bought a new macbook pro at the refresh and they would NOT give me any type of student discount when I was buying it... he said I could wait for back to school, but I needed the computer more than the discount!

10. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

they give a $100 discount off the MBP during all times of the year. someone lied to you.

11. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

well that would be the guy at the apple store... bastard haha!

kinda pissed now.. bought a 15" mbp, ipad 1, (gift for my grandma), and the ipad 2 all the same day and he still didn't want to give me the student discount... oh well what can ya do!

12. 2tallyAwesome macrumors regular

Just order off Amazon. I got a base 15'' for $1730 out the door. That's cheaper than with the education discout, and cheaper than a refurbished would be because you'll need to pay tax.

13. anonymouse99 macrumors regular

It has been my experience that academic discounts are generally easy to get, sort of no questions asked, this was in an Apple store. And you're genuinely a student, so not sure why he did not give you discounts.

I am not sure if they require your student id or .edu address when making purchases online - someone can probably share their experience(s) on this one.

14. rex450se macrumors regular

I don't know what exactly you are looking for but Micro Center has the base 13" MBP for $999 right now.

15. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

Pretty sure he is from Canada so that might not be viable for him but it certainly is a good deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

i showed the guy my student ID... he just said it didn't matter because it wasn't during the back to school program...?

And this isn't my first time purchasing a mac, I had no trouble at all getting a mac with the discount 2 years ago, in fact I don't even think they asked me for any proof I went to school. Oh well, maybe next time I'm in there I'll see if I can't talk 'em into giving me an apple tv rather than the $100 rebate!

17. mikeytwice macrumors member

Odd... you got duped. Since it sounds like you purchased in store, you can probably find out who rung you up and write Apple in hopes of getting your discount applied...

But that aside, waiting to buy until the Back to School promo is that you usually get credit towards an 8gb iPod Touch, which you can then sell.

18. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

yeah i know, but they are just getting rid of all the ipods before they refresh them in september so ebay, craigslist get flooded and the value really goes down, but still who can complain about free.

I'm not too worried about the discount... Apple customer service has always been good to me. When I bought the iPad 1 it was still $499 but I still purchased it because I didn't want to wait to give my grandma a gift and I wasn't sure when iPad 2 would be available as they were all still preorders at that point, plus if they dropped the price I knew I could get the money back.

When apple dropped the price to $399 I went back in there to get a $100 apple gift card. My iPhone 4 screen was completely shattered at this point in time and the guy noticed it. Instead of giving me the $100 gift card he gave me a brand new iPhone and that was that... I'm sure I'll be able to scoop an apple tv in place of the education discount which would please me!!

19. mackage macrumors 6502

Call Apple....complain.....I guarantee you get a refund for the education discount and possibly a "goodwill" gesture for your troubles and being lied to.

20. omar4578 macrumors regular

omar4578

well personally, they accept HS and College, but if you didnt go to college just lie...the guy didnt do a background check on me and he just typed in the school...it was a simple!

or do what i did (give them two debit cards, tell them to charge one with 1,500 and the other with 500 cause of insufficient amounts...then call back and say "you charged the wrong ones, please switch them"

idk if apple was stupid enough but i had to call like 7 different times, by the end of the day you should start to sound pissed off! one of the representatives will put you on hold while she speaks to a supervisor...

to make things short i got discounted 200 bucks on top of the student discount for being a mad customer...so i got a 300 dollar discount :)

i was pissed off that this happened but in the end they won my love back :)

BTW i ordered my mac book pro over the phone

21. elVince macrumors newbie

I am in college, and i used the education discount, HOWEVER, they didnt ask me for ANY proof that i AM in college but i did buy it online.

22. johnadam macrumors newbie

Personally i think buying a new one using your student discount is a better idea.

23. TorontoLRT thread starter macrumors 6502