Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
generik said:
Sorry, if my experience with the "general public" is worth anything people care about cheap. They wouldn't "want a Mac" unless there is a tangible reason to. You can show them all the wizbangs with iLife, and they will ask, "Can I run my old applications on it?", and no, a reply like "MacOS has its own variant of software that does the same thing, except they are better!" doesn't cut it, they want the exact same thing they have been using to work, not something that is snazzed up to be "better!"

So Joe Public will take all the laptop brochures he rounded up that day, go home, pore over them.. and go "Hmm.. $1500 for this computer, Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz" and look over at the MBP "$2499 Core Duo 2.16Ghz".

The choice is already decided right there, between a "safe" choice with a faster processor and a lower price and a "unsafe" choice with a slower processor for almost twice the money, only an idiot would choose the Mac.

This is where Apple has trouble in the business segment. Companies don't want to switch operating system and software for a computer that gives you less speed for more money. Most companies could care less that OSX is better, safer, easier to use, etc. They look at bottom dollar... and a lot of consumers do as well. Current mac users know the OS, but getting switchers will be hard if you don't have hardware that is at least up to par with other vendors.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Chrispy said:
This is where Apple has trouble in the business segment. Companies don't want to switch operating system and software for a computer that gives you less speed for more money. Most companies could care less that OSX is better, safer, easier to use, etc. They look at bottom dollar... and a lot of consumers do as well. Current mac users know the OS, but getting switchers will be hard if you don't have hardware that is at least up to par with other vendors.

Tell that to Apples market share that is steadily rising.. *buzz* try again.. The few vocal forum whiners and their merry band of me too followers will make about 0% difference to Apples margins or market share if they end up buying that dell or hp.

All of these threads need to be merged in to one big whiners fest and when its opened "Cry me a River" by Justin Timberlake needs to be playing in the background while a video of someone playing a small violin is in the right hand of the screen...

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
People can deny it all they want but Apple will never gain any real market share until they get competitive. Business buyers are what makes a company... why do you think Dell is so successful. Business know they can get cheap products and solid support. Anytime we have an issue with a Dell at work we get it fixed overnight... every single time. If they can't fix it right away, they send us a new computer. Sure we pay extra every year for this level of support but it is worth it for a big business. Apple just does too many things wrong right now that could be fixed. Disagree if you wish but you are only in a state of denial if you do.

Oh, and on that note, I will be leaving this thread haha. Pick away all you wish!

shadowx

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ
richard4339 said:
I ordered my MBP last Monday. It just arrived. I doubt the update's going to be any time soon.

Don't you mean you *hope* the update isn't any time soon?? :)

After all, Apple has to sell the rest of their old stock to someone... ;)

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Chrispy said:
Business know they can get cheap products ...

The day Apple starts selling products that look, feel, and operate as cheap as dells is the day my business goes elsewhere. Superior design and a solid product is something Apple has always had over their competition.

Apples market share is rising, not as fast as the king of cheese Dell, but it is going up faster than it ever has in recent times.

Ed

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Ed H said:
The day Apple starts selling products that look, feel, and operate as cheap as dells is the day my business goes elsewhere. Superior design and a solid product is something Apple has always had over their competition.

Apples market share is rising, not as fast as the king of cheese Dell, but it is going up faster than it ever has in recent times.

Ed

you honestly think that apple market share is going to be up there with dell and hp and will buy them out? that's the funniest thing i've heard in a very long time. If that does happen.......it will be in about 100 years.. bc that's not happening any time soon with the prices apple wants for their computers. Apple is a niche market and always will be. IF you don't know anything about OS X and apple why would you pay $500-$1,000 more for the same spec'd laptop just bc of some OS you've never used in the first place? People I know that don't know a thing about apple say man why do you buy the stuff you buy? Well I tell them.....you ever seen another computer that's in the back of a monitor that looks that nice? And when they refer to my mini it's the same answer....you can't buy a pc in that small of a casing. I don't think I will buy an apple laptop for a very long time. I think they are way overpriced compared to the competition.....JUST bc it runs OS X and has a nice casing. To MOST consumers and even big business it's not about looks it's about COST. Bottom line is...why would they want to pay a huge premium on something they don't have a clue how to use in the first place? That is where the niche market comes in. You know apple....you like apple...you buy apple. Once apple starts selling laptops in the $600-$700 range then you're talking competition....but until then they aren't going anywhere.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
macaddicted said:
I believe there is a greater than 0% chance that the MBP will be updated on a weekday sometime between now and when it gets updated.

Well even a 1 in a million chance has a probability of 0.000001, which is still greater than 0!

You do realise there is no such thing as negative chance right? :D

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
macaddicted said:
I believe there is a greater than 0% chance that the MBP will be updated on a weekday sometime between now and when it gets updated.

Actually, you're wrong. There is a 0% chance that the MBP will be updated on a weekday sometime between now and when it gets updated. Since "when it gets updated" falls outside of your window of probability, your solution is 0%. Now there is a greater than 70% chance that the MBP will be updated on a weekday sometime between now and the moment after it's updated. :D

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Ed H said:
Tell that to Apples market share that is steadily rising.. *buzz*

O'RELLY?

What's more likely? The increase in portable computer marketshare (I should remind you that for desktops there have been no significant increase), what's more likely an explaination?

1. There are tons of switchers whose tolerance threshold excludes the switch of a hardware platform (ie: those who like OSX but not PPC).

2. Average Joe suddenly finds Macs a good value proposition with the Intel switch. Nevermind the fact that if he understands the Intel switch then that excludes him from the Average Joe classification :rolleyes:

My money is that the real explaination is 1, which is a one-off occurance. Does Apple have the arrogance, nay.. cojones, to test my theory? Well they can certainly try withholding notebook upgrades until MWSF, or even better, the end of Q1 '07, and we will take a look at their figures.

Oh, and by the way there has been no significant growth of OSX as a OS platform, in fact there has even been a decline last quarter, guess I should tell that to all of that one Fortune 500 corporations who run OSX eh?

Ed H said:
try again.. The few vocal forum whiners and their merry band of me too followers will make about 0% difference to Apples margins or market share if they end up buying that dell or hp.

So you say... when you have $10 you can't afford to lose $1. Likewise when you have $1000000 what's $10?

That's a pretty strong assertion you are making for a company that barely has 3% marketshare, each reverse switcher they lose is not just a lost hardware sale, to put it very bluntly it is the loss of one sucker they can fleece.

People who have yet to switch are not going to switch over in doves to replace those who you have lost you know, for Apple there is quite a high cost investment in acquiring a single customer. All the rest of the world has to do is say "XXX recommends Windows XP Professional".

Ed H said:
All of these threads need to be merged in to one big whiners fest and when its opened "Cry me a River" by Justin Timberlake needs to be playing in the background while a video of someone playing a small violin is in the right hand of the screen...

:rolleyes:

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
RichP said:
Most people dont know the difference between Intel and PowerPC, nevermind core duo this, and core 2 duo that (which most people will think is one and the same)

If we see any update at all, it will be by the 10th. That is around the date that most other manufacturers are shipping their Core2duo laptops.

Considering Intel's C2D campaign has already started airing on the networks, people are not going to know the difference between Core Duo and Core 2 Duo still, but they are going to know that Core 2 Duo is the one to look out for...

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
macaddicted said:
For something approaching the ten thousandth time:
No-one here knows!

Which is, as always, followed by:
If you need it now buy it now. If you can wait, wait.

Lastly, if you learn to use the search feature you will get far fewer sarcastic responses.

Actually in the supposedly quoted words of a Apple store sales rep, even if you are in desperate need perhaps you should wait one more week.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Apple's going to wait until you stop your whining. When you realize that you can't always get everything when you want it, they'll release it.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
When the stinky corpses of the newbies starting these threads get too much for Steve Jobs to tolerate.

I think he has a case of the 90-day flu, so it'll be awhile before the stink gets to him.

dsnort

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2006
In persona non grata
iBookG4user said:
We can't be sure but a good guess would be that it will be released after enough of these threads are made. Or next tuesday.

As we only need another hundred or so of these threads to get them to release the C2D MBP's, next tuesday may be right! :(

Mr.Gadget

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2006
Post Falls, ID
Apple is actually down 2.75% today and was moved from a "buy" status to a "hold" status in the stock market. Had to do with "no new ipods for the holiday shopping season", not laptops... Looks like they disregard what Apple does for computers and software and relegate Apple to an ipod maker... Kinda short sighted I think. ipods are a cash cow for them though!
The good news is, after hours trading has Apple up .05%...
I'm curious what will happen, if anything, when the C2D is launched. Apple is a very strong company today, no matter what happens in the short run.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
I agree on the comments made that most people wouldn't know the difference between Core Duo and Core 2 Duo but a lot of the buyers of the MBP are professional users and would know the difference so I don't know about that argument. I am a small minority that (finally) knows the difference between the both but since I will not use the technology to good use I bought my MBP close to 2 months ago and am happy with it. However I understand the people waiting for the new MBP's if they are going to use the power.

Ok mindless rant over :)

seany916

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2006
Southern California
Guesses on next MBP specifications

In addition to Merom, what else do you think might be changed?

form factor?
latch?
wireless upgrade (new standard)?
14"?

oh, & when?

closest one to nail it wins a cookie!
;)

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Warbrain said:
Apple's going to wait until you stop your whining. When you realize that you can't always get everything when you want it, they'll release it.

They are probably watching pointing and laughing ;)

nodabs

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2006
PA
i got sick of waiting and bought an iMac... and now that i'm not waiting and constantly looking for information. I realize how friggin many of these threads are!! :D

ChickenSwartz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
tvguru said:
I can confirm I've heard the same. The coffee grinder will be an option like the usb modem.

Don't tell anyone, but I had a cup of coffee from one of the new MBPs. Pretty good, a bit hot though, but I was running the CPU at max.

kalun

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2006
A build in firing pan at the bottom of the computer.

When you wish to cook breakfast, simply run your favourite CPU intensive program. Please be noted that cooking material do not come with the Macbook Pro.

Portable computer != laptop.........................

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Built-in electric shock generator that monitors your MacRumors usage for any posts related to the generation of any Apple product. Double the voltage for MacBook Pro speculation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.