New MBP's palm rest- will the finish wear off

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by snake101st, Oct 19, 2008.

1. snake101st macrumors regular

Im just wondering, Ive seen a lot of metal laptops and the finish wears off where your hands are after a while, do you think the new MBP is different or should I get the moshi protector when it comes out?

2. buyusfear macrumors 6502

it's solid aluminum. There's nothing to wear off. That's its color.

Doesn't mean to say that it is scratch proof. So the protector will help in that regard.
    Are the new aftermarket products on shelves yet even?

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Be the first to test it, rub it every day for the next few months, see does it not remain aluminiumly shiny. ;-)

4. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

yeah hopefully the new one will be better than the previous model in this reguard, i just ordered a replacement top case for my MBP cause the finish is all worn off from my palms

5. Marcquito macrumors member

Marcquito

The aluminum on the new MB and MBP are probably not left bare. During the process of CNC and glass beading the metal becomes a bit porous. It is easily stained without a clear coat or some other type of finish-- maybe even a plating.

Sweat is a bit acidic and would probably have the same affects as the previous model with causing 'craters' or 'holes' where the palms rest.

If you're that worried either clean it after every use, buy a mouse and external keyboard, or buy the palm rest decal-thingies.

:cool:

6. valvehead macrumors regular

It is most likely clear anodized. It's much tougher than a clear coat, but it isn't indestructible. If you have sweaty palms you may eventually wear through it, but if you keep the surface clean it should last a long time.

7. snake101st thread starter macrumors regular

I have really dry hands usually, so Im not too worried about that part, but it might rub off or something. I really doubt like the first guy said that its bare aluminum, theres definitely a coating that makes it look different, thats what will (hopefully not) wear off over time.

Time will tell, I guess.

8. sk47 macrumors member

sweat will do little to anodized metal. Your going to need to hook up the palm rest to some sort of voltage generator (are you electrically conducting? LOL) to see noticeable difference. Like the first replier said, it's the color of the aluminum itself.

9. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

yup, it is anodized. It will be fine for a long time.

10. snake101st thread starter macrumors regular

11. coogee macrumors regular

Shocked at all these users not wearing gloves/body suits :D

my setup
    [​IMG]

I use a Marware cover and I think it's a no-brainer that sweat from your palms will eventually cause minor damage to the palm-rest area. If that's going to bother you, definite protection there of some kind is needed.

12. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I use 3 parallel strips of Package tape, and cut it out around the Touchpad. it is next to impossible to notice unless you really look for the seams, but but I honestly don't care what people think about it. I tend to use my laptops in shops, trackside, in cars (that I am working on) etc.

Worked well on my white Macbook, as I sold it (after using it for 2 years) with Zero palm rest wear, and no discoloration.

Just change the package tape every so often, and don't cover the speakers or anyplace you don't need to ;) .

[​IMG]

13. Tosser macrumors 68030

I'm sorry but the previous generation was "solid" too. It was a sheet of aluminum stamped out.
    Then, just like the new generation it is anodized. As such, it will wear off, if doing it as cheaply as on the older generations.
    The most important difference is that the assembly "line" is at the bottom at the new ones, but don't think for a second these new MB/MBPs aren't andised and will not suffer from the same pitting or "wear".

14. redmeister macrumors 6502

im pretty sure it will experience wear just like anything else

15. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Very nice setup! Ikea desk?

Seriously, don't worry about it. I know when I got my baby, I worried. I'm not sitting 6 months later without a scratch. I'm not saying touch it with greasy hands or anything, but under normal use with clean hands you will be fine.

16. Karpfish macrumors 6502a

Karpfish

Like this? Had this on my 12" PB and now on my MBP. I don't understand what the big deal is.

[​IMG]

17. CoolMacDude macrumors regular

The pitting is ugly. Its almost like a scratch on a new car. I know everything can't be perfect forever, but I like to keep everything I own in "like new" condition. I also upgrade my products often and want the person getting it after me to know that it was well taken care of. It makes me a little more money when I sell and gives them a little more assurance I haven't just been throwing it around and eating fast food off the top of it. That doesn't mean much to some people, but others it does. Some people care solely about function whereas aesthetics are important to others. When I grew up I didn't have much, and now I'm fortunate to live an above average life. Having to take care of my stuff reminds me of the past and possibly the future in this economy.

18. OngL macrumors member

I always wonder if I need one of these palm guard, keyboard protector, etc for my MBP unibody. These piece of protector are priced quite high (more than what I would pay for such silicone wrap).