New MBPs QUESTIONS before purchase!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by splicednuggets, Feb 29, 2008.

1. splicednuggets macrumors newbie

hey so yeah i'm about to throw down on a spanking new macbook pro 17" with all the candy. money is no object at all. here is my dilemma. i edit an obscene amount of film (not HD, relax) and would love to have the best machine for doing what i love.

2.5 or 2.6??

whats the difference? to me, it can't be much.. but on the other hand it is like 2 or 3 hundred dollars difference which is a lot for 100 MHz!! will i notice a difference in final cut etc?

hard drive issue

there's three to choose from:
    200 @ 7200
    250 @ 5400
    300 @ 4200

i really don't want to use an external hard drive if i don't have to, but i would love to have great performance seeing as how this beast will replace my aging five+ year old tower setup. which is the best choice? i have over 1TB of raw film clips for my next projects i'm working on, so either option i chose i'll still need to buy a backup device.. BUT it would be great having as much room on the laptop as possible! is 7200 noticeably faster than 5400? etc

THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT/HELP it is much appreciated!

2. skiffx macrumors 6502a

I think you've already answered all your questions...there isnt any justifiable difference between 2.5 and 2.6 for 250$, as for HD you will store your data on an external or network anyway (over 1TB and more to come), thus Id opt out for the faster 7200 which will be noticeably faster.

3. splicednuggets thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, i guess it's sort of true that i did answer a bunch myself..

are there any benchmarks of the new machines yet 2.5 vs 2.6 ?

4. Caris macrumors 6502a

Caris

Go for 2.5ghz, you won't notice the difference in Final Cut no. As for the HDD's i would go for 250GB@5400RPM myself.

5. jshbckr macrumors 6502

You need to get the 7200 RPM drive.

If you got the slow 300GB one, you'd be shooting yourself in the foot. I'm assuming you want it to store footage for Final Cut... Well at 4200 RPM, you're killing the drive's ability to run video successfully when you're editing.

Not to mention that it's better to have your scratch disks separate from your system drive.

6. splicednuggets thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks a lot. you're absolutely correct. as for a scratch disk.. can i go with the time capsule thing? not sure how that works but it sounds like it's amazing. not sure if this fits my needs though (!)