New MDD.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by RhianB, Jan 13, 2017.

1. RhianB macrumors 6502

RhianB

So I lucked out again and scored a free single CPU 1.25Ghz MDD, 2GB DDR, 80Gb HDD, ATI Radeon9000. Interestingly, it came with a scsi card which I am clueless about, so this should be a fun introduction into that sort of thing. Talked to Ben and got the long n' the short of it, so I think I will try and hunt down a scsi drive for it. I have never used one and have heard & read about how they are more responsive drives than ide so that should be fun. It is a beautiful case design. Dunno if I like it more than the QS design. I thought I would notice more "oomph" with the 2GB of DDR vs the 1.5GB of PC133 but it seems on par with the QS if not a tad slower in some ways but that could be a number of things. This is a 167Mhz bus MDD, so I am hoping to upgrade to a dual CPU daughter card at some point and do a build similar to the British gent on youtube with the really blonde hair. Anyhow, it is a cool box for sure & a keeper. :) C2C6263A-56C4-4287-A2CA-182078E2D1A1.jpg IMG_1838.JPG

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Windtunnel! Nice!

Congratulations. Keeping my eye out for an MDD myself.

Internally, the layout and thermal design is superior to the Quicksilver.

That said, the Quicksilver is STILL my favorite looking Mac.

3. RhianB, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017

RhianB thread starter macrumors 6502

RhianB

Thanks! Yeah I noticed they flip flopped the PCI and CPU/heatsink placement in the MDD case vs. the QS - makes sense. The HDD placement & added space is also nice however I am more a fan of the QS sled design vs boxy HDD cages. No biggie though, just a personal pref.

In regards to Dual processor daughter cards - from my understanding, because this FW400/single 1.25Ghz MDD has a 167Mhz bus, it should be able to be upgraded to the FW800/MDD 1.25Ghz DP Dcard, correct? Has anyone out in PPCland done this? Thanks for the help :)

4. dustinschings macrumors 6502

dustinschings

Nice score! And yes, Tom over at IMNC has an amazing hackintosh build!!

5. XaPHER macrumors member

XaPHER

Yeah, you should be able to do that without any problem. Thanks to the fact you have the last single MDD model, otherwise you would have to desolder a resistor on the back of the motherboard to get a 167mhz bus.

I have done this with my SP 1Ghz FW800 in order to put an 1.33ghz Xserve daughtercard which I overclocked to 1.5ghz.

6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Only a 25-pin connector on the SCSI card, so it's likely low-speed card intended for scanners and ZIP drives etc. Card likely doesn't have HDD support. Adaptec 2906 possibly...

Can you get a better photo of the SCSI card?

7. RhianB, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017

RhianB

You're right. It is an Adaptec 2906. This was originally in a photography gallery so a port for a scanner or printer makes complete sense but why then does it have an internal port for a cable if it was to be used only for external peripherals? Was it for linking multiple Scsi PCI cards together or something like that? Maybe an internal zip drive?

BBF689DD-1033-4207-90F3-4EF9522078C7.jpg
    --- Post Merged, Jan 13, 2017 ---
    Thanks for verifying, Xapher. I have another question (full of them this morning). What is this card for? Is it Bluetooth? It is missing on my specific MDD but I saw the mounts, port & cable for it and was curious. Thanks a bunch.

mysteryoso card.jpg

8. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

That would be a modem card, today they aren't needed cause of broadband connections, but if you used dial-up, that's how you would connect to the internet

9. RhianB thread starter macrumors 6502

RhianB

Ahh, makes sense why it's gone. I contemplated a 56k modem considering the age of the MDD but was not sure. Thanks for clarifying.

10. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

A 50-pin internal connector was typically used for optical, ZIP, Jaz, Syquest or tape drives. All of which are fine on a 10MB/sec bus. Factory option for SCSI HDDs at that time would been Ultra SCSI at 80 or 160MB/sec and they use a 68-pin connector..

To digress slightly, early IDE CD-RW drives could be a bit flaky as they hadn't come up with buffer under-run technology yet. If the PC got caught up with another application then the burn would likely fail as soon as the buffer memory on the drive ran out after a couple of seconds. With SCSI the intelligence is on the controller and they'd often continue burning successfully where an IDE drive would produce a part burned coaster. Quite important when they were £1+ a blank disc.

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I can remember in my first job, the guy who sat next to me was responsible for burning a backup of the production server. He would set up Toast for the burn, quit every running app, start the burn and then go to lunch.

Everyone was told not to touch his Mac. ANYTHING could cause burn failure!

:)

12. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Very true Erik. The OS' of the time didn't help much.

I'd reboot the machine and quit anything that wasn't required, then set the burn off and quietly creep out of the room to do something else for 40 minutes before returning in the hope it hadn't spat a coaster out.

13. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

"There are fields Neo, vast fields…"

Oh, sorry, wrong subject. Coasters. Yeah, I've made more than my fair share of shiny but useless plastic discs!

14. RhianB thread starter macrumors 6502

RhianB

Oh my. LOL so whaddaya know. Guess what fits on this? :D

18293E1C-C348-47E8-8EFD-F4771C9DAFC5.jpg

15. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

That's cool, LOL!!! :D

Just don't put anything on the Iomega disk you intend to keep! ;)

16. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

The Ditto was a tape drive for archive/backup. Travan tapes I think, 400MB each. The 800 refers to "compressed" data as they assumed 2:1.

Predates the MDD by a good few years. We sold them at my then work around 1997/1998.

17. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Ahhh!

I had a Jazz drive at one point. My mom was using it. Sent it off to a member here. Never used it myself.

The last go around I had with Iomega was a 250mb USB drive. It had the bad habit of wiping out the content of my disks whenever I used it. POC!

Around that time flash drives were becoming the big thing so I stopped using the damn thing.

18. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I liked the Jaz, it was as fast as most hard drives when it launched. Expensive though.

I've still got a couple of Zip drives somewhere thinking about it...

19. RhianB, Jan 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2017

RhianB

I have an external zip100 connected to my QS. I have it velcroed to the side of my desk next to a 1.44mb external floppy drive. I found a cool icon for it too so it doesn't use the generic white osx one. I've had it ever since late 97-8ish when the basic webdesign electives I was taking at college req'd it - the schools classrooms & labs all used them. That weird time between 1.44mb floppies and CDRW dominance I guess. 546CC87F-EC12-4C96-BCED-CFC89A2B5F1B.jpg
    For the record, I prefer the QS bong to the MDD. :D

20. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Never seen a "bong" I didn't like...:D

images.jpg

21. Slix macrumors 6502a

Slix

I'm always a little surprised that the bong makes such a loud noise and practically shakes the area around it when my MDD boots up. Why is it like that, even with the volume lowered?

22. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Turn your alert volume down. :)

It's based on the alert volume.

23. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

This little utility has worked well for me.
    https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/16780/psst