New member! a few questions...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VTeCMonKeY, Nov 20, 2007.

1. VTeCMonKeY macrumors newbie

hi everyone, new addition to the mac family here i've just purchased a 2.2GHz macbook and 4GB of crucial RAM :) the macbook is going to be used primarily plugged into my 22" samsung monitor and instead of using a mouse i'm using a Wacom Intuos3 so there we go... thats my setup :)

got a few newbie questions...

• when you shut the macbook lid, does it have to go to sleep? i'd prefer it to do nothing (except turn the display off) so when switching between laptop mode and external monitor mode there is no interruption like wireless connection disconnecting etc...

• when using photoshop and the like, i have read that using part of an external hard drive as a scratch disc offers great benefits... well my question is to make the most of these benefits do i need a firewire hdd or doesn't it matter?

• regaring the iSight camera, i currently have a logitech stx webcam sitting on top of my monitor... so since the macbook will be closed a lot, will i get all the funky isight functionality through this webcam or can you only use the built in one?

many thanks guys, and great forum you've got here :)

2. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

1. If your computer is connected to an external screen, mouse and keyboard - it will not go into standby or shutdown when you close the lid. So yes, it will remain switched on.

2. I have no idea.

3. Unfortunately no, the special effects can only be applied when using the iSight camera. Perhaps you could try third party apps.

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum!

x