New member, new mbp :) Setup..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tee Dubya, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Tee Dubya macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Easy all,

Long time lurker on these boards and have just upgraded to a new 2.4 mbp with the high res option. I'm gonna stick 8gbs of ram and a crucial m4 plus optibay in tomorrow.. Super mac :)

Just a quick a question with regards to setup.. Is there much I need to setup or calibrate? I.e. battery, firmware updates or recommend steps to get the best performance out of this machine? Im going to cherry pick my music and apps for djing/music performance from my 2008 mbp so migration assistant isnt needed... Anything to watch out for?

Im completely new to Lion and would be grateful of any advice to get a similar-to-snow-leopard setup.. Ie home folder? Where is it? Haha..

I've searched and found some useful posts but anything anyone could add would be great!

Tee

2. Spadoinkles macrumors regular

Not really. Just TRIM (or equivalent) to keep the trash out..

Yeah, battery and firmware, self explanatory.
    Best performance? Take care of it and it'll take care of you. NEVER look at the Apple Store again, or your Mac will suddenly run slower.

I don't think Lion is too different from SL that'll really make it difficult to adapt to. Just familiarise yourself, and we'll be here if you have questions.

3. Tee Dubya thread starter macrumors newbie

Trim!

Cheers for the reply, TRIM had slipped my mind.. Great shout! Wading through the numerous optibay/ssd guides online now, boy some people know how to complicate these things!

Point noted on Apple store :)

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Setup?

Turn it on, make your user account, put the preferences "just so".

AAAANNND that's it.

I'm pretty sure the crucial M4 has garbage collection, thus TRIM is not necessary, and could even hurt performance.

5. Tee Dubya thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice

Thanks for the advice snaky!

6. Ovenall macrumors member

I just got a new MBP and it's my first Lion experience. Mostly it's exactly the same as before with some added silly stuff and some really great new gestures for the trackpad.

Main tip I have is to go through all the preferences. Finder preference especially... it hides the hard drive on the desktop by default. I guess Apple doesn't want people thinking they're using computers any more. Launch Pad is really silly in both form and function but totally optional and you never have to use it.

So far I like Lion.