New member post- Home system question, easy

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by roubaix, Apr 8, 2007.

1. roubaix macrumors newbie

New member with first post here.

I have just finished an extensive home remodel. I have 1 zone with 3 rooms, i.e 3 sets of speakers, and want to run an audio system from my Mac. Every room is wired with Cat6 and 14/4 speaker wire. So I would like to do everything by ethernet, not USB or Firewire. I would like to manage all digital files through the Mac. I also want to have a standard tuner as well for FM. So probably 2-3 sources.

1. Can I use iTunes for Wav or FLAC; or is Apple Lossless comparable?
    2. Is the proper system string: Computer>ethernet DAC>Preamp>Amp>speaker selector>speakers?
    3. I assume I need a digital to analog converter, what is an excellent quality recommendation.
    4. Recommendations for an excellent quality preamp?
    5. I have a Speakercraft 2 channel/75 amp. Will this be OK?

Very confused about this stuff, but with some reading, I don't see the need for a multizone music server that seems to me just an expensive computer...

Many thanks for any help here.

Peter

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

1. Apple Lossless will suit your needs.
    2. No, you need an Apple TV or Airport Express there somewhere along the line, between the ethernet and the preamp.
    3. If you have an Apple TV or Airport Express, they both have DACs built in. Otherwise, there are plenty of DACs out there. Get HiFi News (NOT What HiFi?) or some other Mag.
    4. Again, get HiFi News =]
    5. For driving a pair of speakers, yes. Great quality? No.

You're doing this all wrong anyway. Cat6 is designed for wiring computers. The only system I know of which is designed to carry analogue audio down ethernet is the Linn Knekt system. Linn is very highly regarded by audio manufacturers, and gives great value for money. However, once you get into multiroom systems, Linn becomes INCREDIBLY expensive for what you get. You'll be better off going with a Bang & Olufsen system for multiroom, they've been doing it for nearly 30 years now.

If you're gonna do it at all, do it properly =]

3. roubaix thread starter macrumors newbie

Txs

Thanks,

I clearly have a lot to learn. I'll get Hi Fi News!

Peter

4. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

Here is a flac quicktime component:

http://xiph.org/quicktime/

Put in /Library/Quicktime and iTunes will be able to read and playback Flac files as normal. (May have to restart computer)

I like flac. It is slowly becoming an accepted open/free standard as more people use it. And it is supported in Mac/Windows/Linux. Yay!

5. roubaix thread starter macrumors newbie