New member: Skin vs. Case

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by finn313, Jul 22, 2008.

1. finn313 macrumors newbie

So i joined today, but over the last week been readings forums about what case to get for my iPhone 3g. I really like the skins like IS, ghost armor, however what I've read that nobody talks about is how you have to add the solution to put these on. Water mix solutions seem to be a bad idea for phones. Especially when you use the squeegee over the ear peace and the buttons. The Case mate naked case looks really good but will take about 2 months to ship. So what does everybody think about the films from apple are they any good? I rock the phone in my pocket but don't want scratches, but don't want to ruin the look of it. Can i get some reviews, or personal experiences that could steer me in the right direction for skins, like the GA or BG.

2. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Get a skin. I would recomment IS or Bodyguardz. ITs not like you are pouring water on your phone. You are barely spraying one side of the film to activate the adhesive. IS an dBG come with a squirt bottle of solution, a sqweegie and the full body skin. BSE is the only one that doesnt come with crap. Also BSEs back is 2 pieces which is cheap and annoying, You get what u pay for. Ive had IS on my old iphone and it was great. All the skins are lifetime warranty so if it starts peeling, getting dirty, etccc.... u can take it off and return it for a brand new one for free. But, then again, if u are too worried about the minute amount of water that MIGHT get in your phone, get a case. But most cases will scratch your phone anyways because theres no felt or material inside to prevent it.

3. BLACK MAC macrumors 6502

Get both. A skin to protect the screen and a case incase you drop it. The skin doesnt protect against a dent and a case might be more effective against phone drops.

4. stevin macrumors regular

Actually Wrong.

1st. As I understand it BSE has 2 piece backs because they're easier to install.. if you check their website you'll find that they actually do have 1 piece skins now.

2nd. I installed 2 BSE skins on 2 iphone 3Gs. First one was the first skin i'd ever installed... came out pretty well but not perfect since it was my first time. 2nd one.... AMAZING. you cant tell its on and cant see the seam unless you look for it. The people at the apple store saw my phone (after first application) and were impressed by it and took down the website from me.

also, I must agree it would be cool to have the little spray bottle and squeegee. but i can say i filled a plate with water added a drop of soap. swirled it around waited for the bubbles in the plate to settle.. dipped my fingers in the plate... dipped the skin in the plate.. and applied it. NO squeegee necessary... you just need patience... a lot of it.. (especially for the corners)

I'm really pleased with mine. and I'll post some pictures and a review some time soon.

I'm a fan of paying less for the same quality and thats what BSE is.

5. finn313 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm really pleased with mine. and I'll post some pictures and a review some time soon.

After more reading i like how some people are doing a combo of sorts. Like using the PS anti glare on the front and IS,BSE and those types for the back. Maybe its just me but i still feel like putting water based solution on the front is a bad idea the back seems like it can handle more. I would like to see those pics so i can make a decision, i've seen pics of the IS back and it looks terrible, maybe after a couple of days it looks better, but the ones i saw for the black back didnt look good.

6. finn313 thread starter macrumors newbie

After more reading i like how some people are doing a combo of sorts. Like using the PS anti glare on the front and IS,BSE and those types for the back. Maybe its just me but i still feel like putting water based solution on the front is a bad idea the back seems like it can handle more. I would like to see those pics so i can make a decision, i've seen pics of the IS back and it looks terrible, maybe after a couple of days it looks better, but the ones i saw for the black back didnt look good.